Repairs Testing a clutch

ARMYtango

Threads
Hey all!

Was wondering if anyone could tell me a good way to test to see if a clutch is bad or not.

I just replaced the engine on my 2013 Snapper Pro S50XT ZT. When it was completed, I fired it up to test it...along with testing the PTO and making sure the blades spin.
I had success and everything seemed to work great, so I put the mower away.
A couple days later, I go to use it and nothing happens when I pull the PTO switch. I know that the switch still works because if I go to engage the blades when I am not sitting on the machine, it kills the engine, which tells me both the PTO and safety switches are working. I also know that the fuse is still good as well.
So am I wrong to think that maybe the clutch is now bad? Is there a good way to test it, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

(Account Closed)

Threads
I suspect if you un-plug the factory harness to the clutch (bypassing it) and "hot wire" a 12 volt line and ground should let you know if the clutch is toast or not.

I would do the above, run your temp wires up and away from anything moving. If it doesn't activate, clutch is likely toast.

You could also pull the clutch, bench test it alone, again applying 12 volts (and ground) to the unit. It should lock up (as it would with the engine running)..

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Much easier and safer test. Unplug the clutch, you’ll find a connection on the clutch or short distance away. Turn the key switch to run, pull the PTO switch to on, and measure voltage across the leads. If you have 12 volts your clutch is probably bad. If you don’t have 12 volts, you have a problem in your wiring. If you have lower than 12 volts, you need to check your battery, as clutches need 10.5 volts to engage.

Threads
ARMY tango ....... Are you still with us ??????? I didn't see this thread a couple months ago when you posted it ...... I do miss some threads sometimes...........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t hold your breather waiting for a thank you. My experience on this forum is that less than 5% of those who request help let us know the outcome. You provide help for people because you are that way, and don’t need a pat on the back.

(Account Closed)

Threads
That's the same on other forums but the two others I frequent, maybe 40% respond back eventually (someone stopping in for free advice).

Just common courtesy and nice to pass on (if something worked) for the next guy....

NorthBama

Threads
That's the same on other forums but the two others I frequent, maybe 40% respond back eventually (someone stopping in for free advice).

Just common courtesy and nice to pass on (if something worked) for the next guy....

I agree if there was a happy ending it may help others