How good if at all are Hustler Turf Flip Up lawn tractors

What the heck is a poll

• Total voters

Canadave

Threads
  • / How good if at all are Hustler Turf Flip Up lawn tractors
To make a long story short, my 15-year-old Simplicity Conquest which has been a great tractor, burned to the ground after a huge backfire. I'm looking for a replacement and while considering a new Conquest, I came across the Hustler Flip Up which I had never heard of before but for me would be wonderful because at age 74 it's becoming more and more difficult to remove the deck and re-install it after cleaning and sharpening the blades. I want to make the right decision because the last thing I need is constant repairs. The Conquest has cost me next to nothing over the past 15 years. In my initial research of the Hustler, I came across a lot of negative comments which makes me very wary. Any input guys?

Hmmmm ... this page is asking about tags and polls which I have no idea what they are. I put in 10 for polls just in case tht means something.

ukrkoz

Threads
I am on my second Hustler in 2.5 years and I do not recommend them. They are cheap made.
I bought mower lift. It is not ideal, but gets deck up in the air to get to blades and clean it. $170 Tractor supply.
I was at my dealer about a month ago and he showed me a Wright I believe mower with PTO driveshaft for the deck and flip deck. Now, that appeared to be something very solid built. Though totally out of my price range, $11K.
One thing you do NOT want to do is to buy a NON tubular frame mower.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Hustler mowers that are above the Raptor SD line have tubular frames. Big difference between Raptor and Fastrak frames. X-One and Super Z are heavier still.

Canadave

Threads
I am on my second Hustler in 2.5 years and I do not recommend them. They are cheap made.
I bought mower lift. It is not ideal, but gets deck up in the air to get to blades and clean it. $170 Tractor supply.
I was at my dealer about a month ago and he showed me a Wright I believe mower with PTO driveshaft for the deck and flip deck. Now, that appeared to be something very solid built. Though totally out of my price range, $11K.
One thing you do NOT want to do is to buy a NON tubular frame mower.

My research indicated that the Hustler had a lot of problems. Actually, two days ago I ordered a Simplicity Champion XT Zero Turn. I did a lot of research and hope I made the right decision. I bought a Simplicity Conquest 15 years ago which was a wonderful tractor that required only very minor fixes right up until it caught fire and burnt to the ground a week and a half ago. I've heard similar stories since and I suspect it had nothing to do with the Vanguard motor which ran like new for the 15 years I had it. The engine was "hunting" which may have had a bearing on it. It boiled down to getting another Conquest or the zero turn. Everyone was pushing me for a zero turn so that's what I did. The dealer ordered one right from the factory which apparently is somewhere in New York State. I live in Canada on Gananoque Lake half an hour north of the border at the St. Lawrence River at the top of Interstate #81 so I should have it pretty soon. I think I'll be getting the MoJack HDL 500 lift.
( https://youtu.be/UxquhMfB8Ko?list=PLCz0uHimJTVt2udFwWGc732UonGJXGvKs ) which is $250 Canadian plus 13% HST tax for a total of $280.24 which is probably about 5 bucks U.S. The mower was $7,600 Cdn including $200 for the headlight option for an after tax total of $8,588 which is probably about 10 bucks U.S. Geez I wish we could trade our moron Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for Trump.

ukrkoz

Threads
Hey, you about to find out, if you did good decision. My karma is such that every time I spend TOO MUCH time hesitating/researching, I'll end with crap.
Do you actually need a ZTR? It's too late to ask... Got to have acreage for them...
For the lift... Don't forget to place handlebars on mower into Run position, or towards the center. When you lift it. I almost ripped mine off the lift claws, as rear wheels refused to turn when lifted. Then I figured, that they are locked from handlebars. Your lift looks exactly like mine, just more expensive, so it has a step, sort of, in the front, to release safety locks when lowering. Make sure you keep foot on it to stay open all the way until you are almost done lowering. It has two locking positions. When ALMOST lowered, you need to stop, undo tie downs, remove them, then lower completely. Don't repeat my mistakes.

Canadave

Threads
Hey, you about to find out, if you did good decision. My karma is such that every time I spend TOO MUCH time hesitating/researching, I'll end with crap.
Do you actually need a ZTR? It's too late to ask... Got to have acreage for them...
For the lift... Don't forget to place handlebars on mower into Run position, or towards the center. When you lift it. I almost ripped mine off the lift claws, as rear wheels refused to turn when lifted. Then I figured, that they are locked from handlebars. Your lift looks exactly like mine, just more expensive, so it has a step, sort of, in the front, to release safety locks when lowering. Make sure you keep foot on it to stay open all the way until you are almost done lowering. It has two locking positions. When ALMOST lowered, you need to stop, undo tie downs, remove them, then lower completely. Don't repeat my mistakes.

I cut about 4 acres so a zero turn should dramatically reduce my mowing time. Today I ordered the Mojack 500 deck lift from Home Depot. I'll remember your advice about placing the handles in the centre run position which would have had the brake on if not and about your procedure when lowering it. I ordered the Simplicity Champion XT sight unseen and found next to nothing on the net about it but coincidently, a guy came over yesterday to talk about taking down some trees and it turned out he bought a Champion XT four years ago from the same place I bought mine and he said that so far it's been a great and reliable mower. I decided on the Champion XT because it was a Simplicity and my experience with my Conquest convinced me that all things being equal it should be of the same or comparable quality.

Mr. Mower

Threads
I own a Hustler Raptor Flip Up, purchased brand new from what everyone here calls a "big box" store (Lowe's) since 2016 and have never had any real serious problem(s) with it.

Tell you what, that Flip Up feature that it has sure makes life a whole lot easier and better to clean under the deck and replace blades as well!

No messing around with lift's, etc. just chock the rear wheels press a button and the entire deck lifts up to expose the entire underside of the deck.

I sure do like that a lot and I definitely feel it was money well worth spent just for that.

So far the only issue that I have encountered with my Hustler Raptor Flip Up was the fuel gauge indicator. But that has since been resolved and so far it's working as it should.

I live on just a little over an acre.

But over all to each their own and yes the Hustler Raptor Flip Up may not be for everyone but it definitely is for me!

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Canadave

Threads
I own a Hustler Raptor Flip Up, purchased brand new from what everyone here calls a "big box" store (Lowe's) since 2016 and have never had any real serious problem(s) with it.

Tell you what, that Flip Up feature that it has sure makes life a whole lot easier and better to clean under the deck and replace blades as well!

No messing around with lift's, etc. just chock the rear wheels press a button and the entire deck lifts up to expose the entire underside of the deck.

I sure do like that a lot and I definitely feel it was money well worth spent just for that.

So far the only issue that I have encountered with my Hustler Raptor Flip Up was the fuel gauge indicator. But that has since been resolved and so far it's working as it should.

I live on just a little over an acre.

But over all to each their own and yes the Hustler Raptor Flip Up may not be for everyone but it definitely is for me!

Just my $0.02

How much did yours cost and what motor make and HP is it and what is the deck size? One consideration for me was the closest dealers for servicing was 30 miles away.

Mr. Mower

Threads
How much did yours cost and what motor make and HP is it and what is the deck size? One consideration for me was the closest dealers for servicing was 30 miles away.

Total cost for mine, after taxes was just a little over $5K after writing out the check (this after a Military Discount and of course no cost to ship straight to my home, it was a special order, came straight from the factory, to the store, to my home)

It came with the Kohler 7000 Series 25Hp engine (which suits me just fine).

I chose the 54" deck.

As for an authorize Hustler Sales & Service dealers, well there are a few close by around (15-20 miles distance) but the one I chose for any type of servicing for mine is located a little over 30 miles from me. I don't mine, they pick up and deliver, which is fine with me.

When I first started to research ZT mowers I never really considered dealerships (not just Hustler but other manufacturers as well) and just read over customer reviews, opinions, specifications, performance, etc. all that stuff. But the sad thing about it all was that I could not find not one single customer review on the specifics of the Hustler Raptor Flip Up! Basically the only detailed info that I could find was straight from the manufacturers site, Hustler.

So really I had to basically go it alone on my decision to buy the flip up. Though I did find many, many customer reviews, opinions, etc. on basic Hustler mowers. It basically came down to either Hustler or Gravely and well I chose Hustler because of the Flip Up feature and the warranty they offered with it.

As for purchasing it from Lowe's well they were the only ones to offer me a Military Discount and Free delivery to my home and those factors made all the difference. Believe me, when I called the few surrounding authorized Hustler dealerships not one, NOT ONE, offered me a Military Discount or Free Delivery!

I had never owned a ZT mower before. I was using an old Montgomery Wards MTD YardMachine riding mower that I had purchased brand new back in the summer of 1997. That was the only mower that I ever had used before and back then I thought that I paid a lot for it ($1200!) and now thinking about it I just laugh.

Believe it or not, that MTD YardMachine was still working (not in the best shape but still did the job) up until 2016. I knew back then that it was on it's last tire and well I knew that I was going to need a new mower. Just about everyone in the neighborhood already had a ZT and well I guess I was the last hold out.

Anyway, once I made my decision (as I had previously explained in an earlier post) to buy the Hustler Raptor Flip Up, well I sure am glad that I did.

Click on the following link and read the very last post, post #110
https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/42245-Trans-Cross-brace-broke-Anyone-else/page11

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
Canadave,

Glad you made a decision and bought what you want. That is important.

I have a Raptor SD60 which I use for Research and Development which causes it to endure a lot of abuse. It looks like new, I run it like I stole it and I put it up against every brand in town for cut. Does a fantastic job and rides great once I added flex forks and a suspension seat kit. It will only do 7.5 mph so far. However, at some point it will be doing 12 mph. Not for cutting, just because it should. lol

At any length, if you'd gone with the RSD, you would be just one of 11 million RSD owners that love their machines. From the chronic complainers you find on the three of four forums, add them all up and you'll see there is a huge number that comes to approximately 80 folks. I don't think there is a decimal point that would show you how few problems relative to the amount built and sold.

So, no matter what is built and sold, there will be problems and there will be folks that makes more out of the problem than it really is. No offense to anyone in this forum or any other. Just stating facts.

Get rid of your Prime Minister before he completely ruins your beautiful country.

As I always say: Run it like you stole it. Fix it if you break it.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Max