Diagostic help please - battery discharges while cutting.

Luffydog

Threads
  • / Diagostic help please - battery discharges while cutting.
That made me think about also the Briggs big block vanguard will take a different clutch and it will not come out and show you this in the ipls. For some reason they take a bigger clutch and I forget how to find it. Think it might show two with different numbers and for the two it will or may not show the clutch I heard a lot of times of them putting the wrong clutch on and it going out and then it comes back smoked. Have seen and heard of this also burning up the stator and regulator at times.

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Luffydog,

But wouldn't Scag have all this sorted, i.e. the clutch they specifiy in the Scag parts list is appropriate for the engine and the job it will be doing?

Cheers, Peter

Luffydog

Threads
Best I can remember it has to do with the voltage and amp draw that makes them different and they show them but have to be looked up different best I can remember. But the big blocks do call for a different clutch than just some other Briggs or Kawasaki or Kohler's.

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Luffydog,

Fixed!! I think - at least the sympton has gone away - the battery no longer discharges while mowing. The fix was the new battery - it seems the original would take a charge using a trickle charge overnight but would not do so while mowing.

My readings haven't changed though: 2.3 Ohms and 4.85 amps.

I checked the air gap on the clutch and that was definately out - more like 0.0024 rather than 0.0015. So I will make sure I check and adjust that from now on.

Again, your patience and knowledge has been very much appreciated. If you are ever in Adelaide let me buy you a steak and a nice bottle of red!

Cheers, Peter

Luffydog

Threads
Thanks for your patience as well. Also thank you for the updates and what the cause was in your case as it might be all cases as we know. If I ever get that way will def. let you know I don't fly or do boats either so that kinda says something but like to see other places. Stay In touch. Cheers ?