Diagostic help please - battery discharges while cutting.

Luffydog

Threads
  • / Diagostic help please - battery discharges while cutting.
Yes I thought so. So it charging. I would test the clutch ohms at this point and a draw test on the clutch but at this point we already know that it is drawing too many amps!!! Everything pointing to a bad clutch so far. But make sure to ohms and amp test it just that one extra step. Those test depending on what clutch you have. Like gt1,gt1a,gt2 ohms should 2.8-3.2 and some more gt2.5,gt3.5,gt5 2.0-2.4!!! To low is bad as well as to high in those numbers. Check those out and if things don't like right I'll give you the amp draw readings and specs. These numbers are based on the wiring in the us so you might have to covert If needed. Also check and make sure your ground is good. Just remembered the ohms test must be done when cool.

Luffydog

Threads
Just thinking back I think I posted the draw test somewhere here before in the scag forum you might have to search Thur and find.

Luffydog

Threads
IMG_0692.jpg

Luffydog

Threads
IMG_0691.jpg

Luffydog

Threads
Sorry about the view sure someone will comment about it shortly lol

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Rivits,
Thanks for the document. It's a piece of gold! I will take a closer look tomorrow but it certainly points me in the right direction.

Hi Luftydog,
Thanks for the info. Funny you should mention the GTx.x numbers as it made me remember the PTO and Clutch are one of the same! I had the PTO replaced in July last year and remeber its part number was GT something - I've just done a web search on GT3.5 and there was the Ogura products line that I remember buying! Maybe something has come adrift in the PTO area.

Again, many thanks to you both - I'm well underway now with the diagnostic part. I will post when I determine the problem.

Cheers, Peter

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Rivits,

Well I determined that my mower provides 29.6 volts (page 7.10) and is therefore a 16 amp system. Unfortunately testing such a system requires a DC shunt tool which I don't have. Do I need that tool to take my testing further?

Hi Luftydog,

My ohms reading was 2.2 which is correct for GT3.5 clutch. I'm pretty sure this is what I bought and that's definately the clutch which Scag specifies. Unfortunately the amps test was a failure: there is a two wire lead from the clutch to a connector from the wiring harness - the connector has a black and two blue (connected) wires. With the engine running and clutch engaged / disengaged I failed to get any amp reading. I presume this isn't possible and somehow my meter probes aren't making a good contact. However, before I take this further, can you just confirm a zero reading isn't possible.

Cheers, Peter

Luffydog

Threads
2.2 is on the low side have to make a jumper to the connector and use meter to complete the connection in between them have to move the meter to amps as well. All you have to do is make the connection and turn the key and pull pto don't have to run engine.

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Luffydog,

Thanks for the response although I'm not fully understanding this part "have to make a jumper to the connector and use meter to complete the connection in between them". Are you telling me to disconnect the clutch cable from the wiring harness connector then join the two cables using a home made cable long enough for me to meter the clutch more easily and knowing I have a solid connection when I attach the meter?

Cheers, Peter