41 hour spring failure...cost $57 for another spring. NOT happy

87LtdT

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 41 hour spring failure...cost $57 for another spring. NOT happy
2004 61" Scag Wildcat...residential (homeowner) use only...887 total hours.

on 4 Jun '18 the approx 6" x 1" spring that tensions the right side belt pulley broke. The new Scag replacement cost $58. This past Friday the replacement broke...114 days (40.7 hours) after the new SCAG replacement first was installed. You can easily see on the fracture face the first 1/3 of the fracture surface is rusted. So it began failing soon after installation and finally totally failed.

The SCAG dealer initially told me 90 day warranty. I asked him to call SCAG as I headed to his shop. When I got there he advised 90 day warranty if SCAG dealer installs the part...30 day warranty if customer installs it!!

So I had to pay for a 2nd $58 SCAG replacement spring.

Thoughts?? BTW....installation of this spring is dead simple...2 loose hooked ends go around 2 posts.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
But what are the posts like ?
Generally when the spring goes you need to replace / repair the anchor points as well.\
Anchor points should also be lubed

This is not to say that the spring was not defective the day you bought it.
However dealers will generally ( or rather should ) have a good look at the deck for a cause of the spring breaking.
If for no other reason it yields more sales.

John R

Threads
A good dealer should stand by you with Scag.
Haven't had any trouble with Scag, if I do there are other mower manufacturers that sell mowers.

87LtdT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys...ref lubing the posts. Not a bad idea...I did not do that when I initially replaced the spring. But I should note that the spring did not fail at one of the curved ends...instead the body of the spring broke in the last coil...where it made contact with the loose end. And they charge $75 to haul the mower each way...about 15 miles...so I'm not going to have that done to inspect a post!! And I agree with the "good dealer" comment...but I think that both of the guys behind the counter are employees only. Don't have any idea who the owner is.

Thanks again for your input.

Bob

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be sure and check idler arm, bearings, ect because every one I ever broke was caused by other issues. Since you broke one and the other did not last any length of time you might have other issues.

SidecarFlip

Threads
The day I pay 58 bucks for a spring is the day I put on my dunce cap......lol

Go to your local hardware store, Lowes, TSC, Home Depot or where ever and get a spring for maybe 5 bucks and be happy. In fact, buy 2.

John R

Threads
Thanks guys...ref lubing the posts. Not a bad idea...I did not do that when I initially replaced the spring. But I should note that the spring did not fail at one of the curved ends...instead the body of the spring broke in the last coil...where it made contact with the loose end. And they charge $75 to haul the mower each way...about 15 miles...so I'm not going to have that done to inspect a post!! And I agree with the "good dealer" comment...but I think that both of the guys behind the counter are employees only. Don't have any idea who the owner is.

Thanks again for your input.

Bob

I'd sure find out who the owner is, and talk to him about this problem.
If he won't help it would the last dime of mine he ever got, and let him know why.