Liquid gas

Extinct moa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I realise that what you call gas is actually gasoline, but in countries other than the US we call gasoline petrol. It should be noted that the world has got a lot smaller with emails and instant messaging and the fact that this site is not only accessed in the USA , but all around the world, everywhere. It may be prudent to advise all members that gasoline is also gas, and gas is petrol, to avoid confusion and consternation.:wink:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:confused2: I'll have to give some thought to that one.
I usually just speak American English to Americans, British English to Brits, and some hybrid combination of the two to Australians because I have no idea what word they use for what.

Johnbt

Threads
I'm curious, what do you call propane gas? Of course, it can be in liquid form too, but I've always heard it simply called propane.

For that matter, what do you call the fuel for diesel-powered mowers?

I wonder, when was petroleum shortened to petrol? Gasoline is only one of the products made from petroleum. It's too early here on the east coast of the U.S. More coffee please. :smile: Then I need to go hook the chargers to my three trolling motor batteries. Mowing will have to wait until - oh - Tuesday I think.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
:confused2: I'll have to give some thought to that one.
I usually just speak American English to Americans, British English to Brits, and some hybrid combination of the two to Australians because I have no idea what word they use for what.

GAS = gasoline .. PETROL = gasoline .. FUEL = gasoline (although fuel is more commonly used around racing terminology) but all of it it boils down to the same thing ... MOTION-LOTION !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel, is not petrol.
The reason why the name down here got changed from Petrol to Fuel is because there were laws about what had to be in petrol & what was not allowed to be in pertol.
What we get now days is light crude oil that is not suited to be converted into petrol watered down with whatever petro-chemical solvents and by products that can be bought cheaply ( like Tollunine & Benzene ) which some aromatics tossed in so there is some thing volatile at room temperature so a cold engine can start.
It is a foul smelling brew of partially flamiable liquids but what it is definately not is Petrol

Some marinas sell ral petrol and some airports sell real petrol the rest is industrial chemical waste.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Fuel, is not petrol.
The reason why the name down here got changed from Petrol to Fuel is because there were laws about what had to be in petrol & what was not allowed to be in pertol.
What we get now days is light crude oil that is not suited to be converted into petrol watered down with whatever petro-chemical solvents and by products that can be bought cheaply ( like Tollunine & Benzene ) which some aromatics tossed in so there is some thing volatile at room temperature so a cold engine can start.
It is a foul smelling brew of partially flamiable liquids but what it is definately not is Petrol

Some marinas sell ral petrol and some airports sell real petrol the rest is industrial chemical waste.

At least now we know what to call gas in Australian - "slightly scary" :biggrin: