2186 PTO

zackeydw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a cadet 2186. It just died while mowing. I have jumpered the seat switch and clamped the brake/PTO switch on. now when I start the engine it runs but when I turn on the PTO switch the engine cuts out. I replaced the PTO/brake switch with the same results. Anyone had this problem with a solution?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your mower should have an electric PTO so the PTO safety switch is part of the switch,
There should be a parking brake switch and depending upon the manufacture date a reverse cut out switch.
The seat switch should be 3 naked blades mounted to the seat support on early models and a button switch on latter ones

As such I am having troubles working out what switches you are working with.

So please upload some photos.

You have the mower in front of you. We have words on a screen.
The safety cut out circuit is a ground circuit.
So a short to ground will not blow a fuse but will kill the engine.

zackeydw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry about the switch confusion. I bypassed the seat safety switch. I replaced the safety switch which is activated by the brake. when I pull on the PTO switch it kills the engine. Where is the ground for this circuit?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The entire circuit is a ground circuit
Cub ran the 2000 series for a long time so there have been a lot of changes in the wiring over that time.
Unfortunately Cub never made full circuit diagrams available to Joe Public. Well not one I could find anyway .
So to take things forward we will need some photos
key switch ( both sides ) under side of the dash & seat switch.

There are 3 parallel kill circuits that use common parts which is why there are 4 wires on most Cub seat switches.

Key switch + magneto
Seat switch + brake switch + magneto
Seat switch + PTO switch + magneto

The not too good test is to start the engine set the brake then lift your weight off the seat
Next start the engine and turn on the blades.

If both of these kill the engine, the common switch is the seat switch which could be faulty.
However the wires to & from the seat switch tend to get pinched and then short out to the body.
Because it is a ground wire shorting out to the body which is also ground these shorts are hard to find.

Naturally if one test passes & the other fails then you are looking at either the brake or PTO switch and of course the wires between them.

Now it gets further complicated by the addition of relays which was done to reduce the number of wires in the loom.
So there are 0, 1, 2 & 3 relay systems.

The brake switch & the PTO switch are also in the cranking circuit although they use different pins.

And to answer your specific question, usually the ground for the switches is the ground for the key switch they are usually tied together within the loom.
After that Cub will either run the other end of the ground to the engine or directly to the battery depending upon which year.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check to see if you have a model and serial number under the seat or on the frame somewhere. These numbers may help us find a wiring diagram.

packardv8

Threads
I owned two 2000-series mowers and they were wonderful, except for the switches and wiring. Over the years, I had to completely rewire and replace every switch on them. The switches are just junk. Yes, I understand the lawyer/safety aspect, an inoperative mower may be very safe, just not of any use to anyone. To keep my mowers operating, eventually each had an aftermarket toggle switch to put power to the ignition, an aftermarket pushbutton to energize the starter and an aftermarket toggle switch to energize the PTO.

jack vines