How to adjust valves on B&S turbo twin cylinder mower?

SidecarFlip

Threads
  • / How to adjust valves on B&S turbo twin cylinder mower?
Maybe it helps that we have a refinery a couple miles away. Manager used to say the gas was higher priced here because it was fresher. And then MAYBE it puts out better gas than some.

Walt Conner

First off, all gasoline comes off the Cat Cracker as unleaded, not ethanol gas. Corn Liquor (alcohol) added after the cracking process, usually metered into the transport tanker at the filling rack and gas prices are not controlled by the refinery, they are controlled by supply and demand and on road use taxes. The state you live in has some of the highest taxes on on road fuel in the country (and interestingly are still going broke)..... Go figure.....:wink:

BuddyC1

Threads
Ok it starts great BUT now I have an issue... I just started it and ran it around the yard, testing the speeds and reverse without engaging the blades. It's gear driven, not hydrostatic, and this is the first time I've driven a gear drive machine(actually I've only briefly EVER used a riding mower, period). I hit the brakes and engaged the blades... it seemed like it took a several seconds before I heard the wine of the belts but then I finally heard the blades spinning. I tried to start moving forward but nothing was happening. I soon started to hear sort of a low "whomp-whomp" sound and still couldn't get it moving so I shut it off. I restarted and it started up and sounded fine, but is not moving. What the heck happened?

Threads
Good luck with that in Illinois..... Best thing you can do is add Marine Stabil (Blue).

What town in Illinois ?? There are 121 stations and more than that actually, because they are not on the list.... Stations need to be added to the list you don't just open up a gas station and think the jobber is going to put you on the list....

Threads
Ok it starts great BUT now I have an issue... I just started it and ran it around the yard, testing the speeds and reverse without engaging the blades. It's gear driven, not hydrostatic, and this is the first time I've driven a gear drive machine(actually I've only briefly EVER used a riding mower, period). I hit the brakes and engaged the blades... it seemed like it took a several seconds before I heard the wine of the belts but then I finally heard the blades spinning. I tried to start moving forward but nothing was happening. I soon started to hear sort of a low "whomp-whomp" sound and still couldn't get it moving so I shut it off. I restarted and it started up and sounded fine, but is not moving. What the heck happened?

Drive belt came off / Broke ???? Look under your mower and locate the drive belt... Not the deck belt for the blades...

Check that real good........

BuddyC1

Threads
Drive belt came off / Broke ???? Look under your mower and locate the drive belt... Not the deck belt for the blades...

Check that real good........

Both belts are off and I see some shreds laying around from the deck belt I believe. The deck belt is off the track of one of the small middle pulleys, but it's not just flopping around completely loose from all the other pulleys. Was the cause of the drive belt coming off? It doesn't seem like the loose deck belt was so loose that it would have slapped the drive belt to make it come off track, but I it was lifted up above the pully itself so maybe it did somehow interfere with the drive belt. BTW, I am pretty sure I have the blades up in their highest position if that matters with whether or not an off-track deck belt in that position would likely cause the drive belt to get knocked off track.

Also, both belt look like they need replacing, any videos or tutorials for changing both belts on this gear driven machine?

Threads
Yes there is ..... Look up Taryl fixes All on you Tube then go to his video section and search drive belt.....

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would seem that you have a bad bearing or two in the blade deck, maybe in the drive belt idlers too. That mower does have one heck of a good motor on it though. Changing bearings and belts, especially when they are off and destroyed, is not a chore for new DIYer.

BuddyC1

Threads
Ok I'll study that video

BuddyC1

Threads
Would seem that you have a bad bearing or two in the blade deck, maybe in the drive belt idlers too. That mower does have one heck of a good motor on it though. Changing bearings and belts, especially when they are off and destroyed, is not a chore for new DIYer.

I honestly always feel I can do most things as long as I have some decent instruction, and especially a video. How can I tell if the bearings are actually bad? Will there be an especially noticeable wobble? How hard is it?