Extension spring on 38 in MTD mower deck

Zap

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, Problem connecting extension spring on mower deck, mtd/bolens 38 in. on model 762 Lawn Tractor. Shown in Illustrated Parts Manual page 26-27 item #23 --- 732-04287 ------ The one end of the spring connects to a post on the right side of the deck, and would travel under the Spindle pulley on that side ---- but cannot figure out where the other side of the spring should connect. The parts diagram does not show where the other end connects. Any directions would be appreciated. I have searched for online pictures, but cannot find anything clear enough to tell. The closest that I have been able to come so far is the statement """ This part is fitted onto the deck assembly and the spindle assembly, giving tension to the pulley and the belt. """ I know that it will be simple as soon as we find the hole to hook the spring to. Then I will say to myself, I should have seen that myself... Thank all of you for your help.

Zap

Forum Newbie
Threads
I read the other posting on this subject and I am still just as lost as I was when I started. I am certain that someone out there has a simple answer.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread on over to our MTD section.

Zap

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is all I coud find at this time, it's kind of dark but if you watch it a few times I think it might help.........

Thank you for your pointer. I will watch it with the most care. When I get my spring reconnected, I will try to get some pictures that I can post here for all the others who run into this problem. Again thank you for taking the time to give me a pointing answer.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is all I coud find at this time, it's kind of dark but if you watch it a few times I think it might help.........

Thank you for your pointer. I will watch it with the most care. When I get my spring reconnected, I will try to get some pictures that I can post here for all the others who run into this problem. Again thank you for taking the time to give me a pointing answer.

The pics would be a GREAT help !! we USUALLY try to tell folks to ALWAYS take tons of pics BEFORE and during working on anything, SPRINGS and linkages in particular, they become YOUR own Manual...it will save you many headaches !! AND others too, if you post them .. :thumbsup:

Zap

Forum Newbie
Threads

Found the path for the spring --- trying to encloseing 5 pictures of the extension spring in question. It connects to the right side brake bracket in a way we did not think would work but it did.-- The brake bracket has a notch in which the spring hooks, note on the lower lift side of the bracket. no holes. The pictures shows the spring connected all the way from the outside poat to the brake bracket. I wish to thank everyone who help me find and document the correct path for this 38 in mower deck.

Attachments

• 008 s.JPG
    008 s.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 009 s.JPG
    009 s.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 010s.JPG
    010s.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 011 s.JPG
    011 s.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 29
  • break bracket s.jpg
    break bracket s.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 17

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Found the path for the spring --- trying to encloseing 5 pictures of the extension spring in question. It connects to the right side brake bracket in a way we did not think would work but it did.-- The brake bracket has a notch in which the spring hooks, note on the lower lift side of the bracket. no holes. The pictures shows the spring connected all the way from the outside poat to the brake bracket. I wish to thank everyone who help me find and document the correct path for this 38 in mower deck.

Zap those pics are GREAT !! I'm sure they will help many others in the same boat you were ... I'm saving them to my files, too... N don't be a stranger ........ :thumbsup: