MTD B&S NON OHV 12.5 WON'T CRANK HOT

Jetguy707

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, new to the forum here.

I have recently picked up an older MTD 38 Yard Machine with a 12.5 HP non OHV Briggs that starts and runs fine cold but if I shut it off it will only turn over half way and lock up like there is too much compression. If it sits a while it will turn over normal and start quick and easy no problem. The seller told me it needed a new battery as it needed a boost to start it when I went to see it. Upon original inspection I noticed the oil was a little dirty and the choke cable was disconnected but overall good condition for it's age. When I got it home I drained and refilled the oil, removed and cleaned the carb while repairing the choke function. I checked and cleaned my connections at the starter and replaced the battery as the last one was five years old according to the date code on it. It was only during the first time cutting the grass that I noted the trouble starting hot problem. I have been reading through various threads and it seems that there is a similar problem with B&S OHV engines with a compression relief mechanism that fails on the CAM but as I understand the older IC Quiet engines don't have that design. Any suggestions would be appreciated as the machine runs and cuts like a new one but it would be nice to be able to shut it down and restart it hot.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi guys, new to the forum here.

I have recently picked up an older MTD 38 Yard Machine with a 12.5 HP non OHV Briggs that starts and runs fine cold but if I shut it off it will only turn over half way and lock up like there is too much compression. If it sits a while it will turn over normal and start quick and easy no problem. The seller told me it needed a new battery as it needed a boost to start it when I went to see it. Upon original inspection I noticed the oil was a little dirty and the choke cable was disconnected but overall good condition for it's age. When I got it home I drained and refilled the oil, removed and cleaned the carb while repairing the choke function. I checked and cleaned my connections at the starter and replaced the battery as the last one was five years old according to the date code on it. It was only during the first time cutting the grass that I noted the trouble starting hot problem. I have been reading through various threads and it seems that there is a similar problem with B&S OHV engines with a compression relief mechanism that fails on the CAM but as I understand the older IC Quiet engines don't have that design. Any suggestions would be appreciated as the machine runs and cuts like a new one but it would be nice to be able to shut it down and restart it hot.

You must determine what the problem is at the time it will not restart...
fuel or fire

starting fluid and/or spark tester.

Jetguy707

Forum Newbie
Threads
It physically will not turn over at all when this happens. Like the engine has too much resistance to rotation.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
It physically will not turn over at all when this happens. Like the engine has too much resistance to rotation.

Jumper solenoid with a screw driver by placing the blade FIRMLY on large nuts and see if there is any different in it trying to start.
You don't have to turn key on to see how it responds.

Threads
Jet Guy..............run your mower again till its hot and bothered LOL then try it again, if it's hard to turn over then take the spark plug out 13/16 socket. Or whatever size you need, have it in you drink holder unless you have an adult beverage in it and see what it does........

Let us know if gas is coming out of the hole..... If not then something is getting hot with your starter... Maybe a bad GROUND connection or hot wire somewhere.....

Carb might need to be cleaned or rebuilt.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Also if your engine doesn't have a ACR then you have the heavy duty starter on yours....