Cub Cadet xts die

The Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a 2016 XTS with 55 hrs earlier this spring. Ran fine up until recently, where it will run for about 20 mins. and die. It will crank and turn over but not start unless you wait 20 mins or so. This cycle repeats with the run time getting shorter but wait time the same. I've checked the fuel, fuel filter and gas cap and spark plug. All seems well there. When it dies it just shuts off, like a switch, no sputtering. This 18 hp Courage seems to have many problems, just wondering where to look next.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
SOP
Get an in line spark tester and a can of carb cleaner.
fit the spark tester (s) so it ca be seen from the cab, remove the bonnet if necessary.
The instant the mower starts to die look at the testers, they should continue to flash almost till the engine has stopped and also flash when you crank the engine after it has stopped.

No flash = electrical problem.

Now jump off and spray a SMALL SHORT shot of carb cleaner down the carby throat and crank the engine.
If it fires right up you have a fuel supply problem

Let us know the results of this test and when you get back please include the full engine number.

The Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
After talking to seller, I decided to check fuel shut off solenoid. It was getting voltage but wire had been exposed at a crimp. I took solenoid off and it checked out fine, however I decided to disable it and put an inline valve on so I decide when to shut off fuel, not the many safety switches. It ran fine today, so time will tell

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Please make sure you shut the fuel off every time you stop if you disabled the solenoid. I had a float valve fail intermittently and the crankcase filled with fuel. I installed a shut off after that and shut it off every time I stopped the engine. It was the better all metal shutoff that I installed.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
THE SHUT OFF SOLENOID AND THE FLOAT VALVE HAVE NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH EACH OTHER THEY DO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS

THE SHUT OFF SOLENOID CLOSES THE MAIN JET SO THEN ENGINE CAN NOT SUCK FUEL THROUGH THE MAIN JET WHEN IT IS SPINNING DOWN AFTER YOU TURN IT OFF.

THE FLOAT VALVE SHUTS OF THE FUEL SUPPLY TO THE ENTIRE CARB WHEN THE BOWL IS FULL.

WHEN IT FAILS THE FUEL LEVEL RAISES TILL IT POURS OUT THE FLOAT BOWL VENT, DOWN THE CARB THROAT TOTALLY BYPASSING THE SOLENOID AND FILLS THE ENGINE WITH FUEL

Having screamed & yelled, a secondary cut off valve is a good idea although if everything is working it should not be necessary.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Having screamed & yelled, a secondary cut off valve is a good idea although if everything is working it should not be necessary.

I always put a shut off valve in if there isn't one. Install between the tank and fuel filter. Otherwise, have to drain the tank to change the fuel filter.