Kohler ch16 no start

Rando1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mowed my lawn and put mower away (Cub Cadet 2166 w/ Kohler ch16 command single cyl). Mower ran perfect, no smoke. Few days later go to use mower and no start.Pulled plug and checked for spark. Good spark. Spray small amount of starting fluid into spark plug port and replaced plug. Turns over but no start or even try to start. MechANIC friend says he hears hissing...bad head gasket (I never heard hissing) so I change head gasket. Some black carbon on piston and head might be a little rich on fuel. Visually look at valves and push rods, look good to untrained eye. Tried to start ... no start. Put finger over plug port, seemed like low compression to me. I don't have a compression gauge. I can see visual signs of fuel going through carb. I have to think this is a compresson problem valves or rings. I am lost. Please help

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mowed my lawn and put mower away (Cub Cadet 2166 w/ Kohler ch16 command single cyl). Mower ran perfect, no smoke. Few days later go to use mower and no start.Pulled plug and checked for spark. Good spark. Spray small amount of starting fluid into spark plug port and replaced plug. Turns over but no start or even try to start. MechANIC friend says he hears hissing...bad head gasket (I never heard hissing) so I change head gasket. Some black carbon on piston and head might be a little rich on fuel. Visually look at valves and push rods, look good to untrained eye. Tried to start ... no start. Put finger over plug port, seemed like low compression to me. I don't have a compression gauge. I can see visual signs of fuel going through carb. I have to think this is a compresson problem valves or rings. I am lost. Please help

You are way over thinking it.

It was running great before.
You should have checked the simple stuff first.

Rando1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked for fuel and fire and I didn't mention water in the gas.The only thing left was compression. Well tonight I borrowed a compression gauge. Zero compression. Hmmm Pulled the valve cover off and checked it visually. Turned the motor over...seemed ok. Lets pressurize the cyl. and see if we hear a leak...yes out of the carb. Tapped starter and tried several positions. Always air leaking out of carb, problem has to be with the intake valve. I got the head off and by then it was too dark. Have to see what tomorrow yeilds. Have a good night all!