JD L120 22hp runs but no power

Tjb393

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I just received a John Deere L120 with the Briggs 22hp engine. I got it for free and it has just over 500 hours on it. The mower runs but it just doesn't have any power. I changed the plugs on it and it seemed to help a bit but it's still lacking a lot of power. When you engage the blades, it just about dies but will stay running. Haven't had a lot of time to look at it and not really in a hurry but just trying to get some ideas on where to start to get this engine running good again. Thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all, I just received a John Deere L120 with the Briggs 22hp engine. I got it for free and it has just over 500 hours on it. The mower runs but it just doesn't have any power. I changed the plugs on it and it seemed to help a bit but it's still lacking a lot of power. When you engage the blades, it just about dies but will stay running. Haven't had a lot of time to look at it and not really in a hurry but just trying to get some ideas on where to start to get this engine running good again. Thanks

make sure both cylinders are working...sounds like one is not.

for more help supply model number of engine

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Brother in law has a similar mower. Has had a lot of trouble with the valve rocker arms coming loose, lose valve lift and power. Not really making noise either. Pull the rocker covers and check. Kind of an annual maintenance for him.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Brother in law has a similar mower. Has had a lot of trouble with the valve rocker arms coming loose, lose valve lift and power. Not really making noise either. Pull the rocker covers and check. Kind of an annual maintenance for him.

Tom,
If his rocker retaining stud is coming loose that is a symptom of an overheated head.
Is he doing his annual fin cleans ?