Briggs and stratton 8.5 hp magnetron coil with ignition module

catfish51

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and stratton 8.5 hp magnetron coil with ignition module
I ahve a Briggs and Stratton 8.5 hp on an Exmark 32 inch I need the coil with the magnetron on it.I look up the part numer on various sites and it says Brigs 398811 and when I order it I get a coil with no magnetron What part number do you guys suggest I order
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure what you are asking for. Magnetron is briggs name for their electronic ignition modules. When they first started changing over from points to electronic there was a separate somewhat clear box that slide between the legs of the module, which then goes integrated into the module itself, and since briggs changed supplier of their modules a few years back some of the new modules don't even look like the old ones.

So if you are looking up the module by what Briggs. I am sure what you are receiving is correct for your engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
how do you know it has no chip ?
The chip is embedded inside the coil you can not see it from the outside.

catfish51

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked up the engine model number and ordered a coil or magnetron like you said but I got a coil with no magnetron Now I'm gun shy because a couple of sights had the same ignition coil number I just want a magnetron that will work on my engibne The engine number i 196702the type is 4004-02 So when I looked it up I entered 196702-4004-02 to get the part number I got an old style coil with no magnetron or trigger buttton on it Yes mine is the newer of them it has a round button. It is an 8.5 hp What magnetron should I order I don't want to do this wrong again
Thanks guys

catfish51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure what you are asking for. Magnetron is briggs name for their electronic ignition modules. When they first started changing over from points to electronic there was a separate somewhat clear box that slide between the legs of the module, which then goes integrated into the module itself, and since briggs changed supplier of their modules a few years back some of the new modules don't even look like the old ones.

So if you are looking up the module by what Briggs. I am sure what you are receiving is correct for your engine.

You can see if the coil has the trigger coil on it verses an older coil with no trigger coil on it The one I got has no trigger coil It's just an old plain coil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you telling us the distance between the coil and the inside of both legs is the same? Or is the coil have one side within a 1/4” of one leg and the space on the other side is close to a 1/2”?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Magnetron is the name Briggs gave to their version of the Atom ignition module with is just a Hall effect trigger.
When Atom's patient ran out every mower company that was to cheap to pay Atom royalties copied the units exactly.
So you had a box around the size of a postage stamp and about 1/4 " thick either remote or stuck onto the side of the magneto coil.
Now electronics has gone ahead leaps & bounds sing 1959 when the first Atom was made by soldering components to a circuit board. Now we have silicon chips so what was the size of a postage stamp and 1/4" thick is the size of the head of a pin and .020" thick.
Thus the replacement unit will fit inside the coil unnoticed .
IF the part number coded out then the part is correct or has superceeded to the new part.
All Brigs coils are "magnetron" now days so it is just a matter of getting the coil with the right pick ups and the right embedded chip.
Twenty years ago a mobile phone weight 1/2 lb and you wore it over your shoulder on a strap.
Now days the thing is so small & light you have to search all of your pockets in the hope of finding it before the call rings out.
But it still makes phone calls just likt the original although it looks nothing like it.