Kohler 18 horse flat twin in Bobcat, is it worth rebuilding?

SidecarFlip

Threads
  • / Kohler 18 horse flat twin in Bobcat, is it worth rebuilding?
it has a bad rod knock (bought it that way) for a good price and the small Bobcat is very desireable to own (48 " bucket). Is it worth doing a rebuild or should I just repower it with a new engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably not.
It is a very good engine but Kohler parts are quit expensive.
All depends upon how much your time is worth and how much toy money you have at hand.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rebuilding that engine will also depend on the conditions of the cylinders. If the cylinders are both within specs and in good condition, it might be worth rebuilding. You should have someone tear it down and check to see which parts need to be replaced or machined. It will also depend on whether you have a good machine shop in your area. Repowering a unit that size could easily run $2000, so you’ll have to spend money to answer your question. I rebuilt one that size two years ago, because the unit was in great shape, but the total bill was just over $1000. Bert and I are not standing next to you, with a glass of wine in our hands, to see the condition of the unit or engine. You will have to make that decision on your own.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something to also consider is if you are looking at repowering, can you get a compatible engine. will a newer style engine fit in the engine compartment. As am example I have a customer with a small bobcat with a single cylinder 16 hp K series engine that has an electric clutch which engages the hydraulic pumps. There is no way you could fit a newer OHV twin in that frame, and if you could find a 16 hp engine or larger in a single cylinder, I am not sure you could even get a slant OHV to fit without interferring with something.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, forgot about that one.
Bought 6 B & S OHV engines real cheap to repower some old SV fitted mowers.
Only one would actually fit without major modifications so ended up rebuilding the old engines thus just broke even on the jobs.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Machine shop is no issue, I own and operate a machine shop. I can have one of my employees do any machine work necessary or myself for that matter. The machine (440B) is worth at least 5 grand as it sits, they are in great demand here for horse people because they fit through a standard stall door. Guess my best alternative at this point is remove the engine and tear it down. I downloaded the Kohler shop manual for it already. I know an Onana will fit as well but I agree, the late model Brggs V twins are too tall as is the Predator V twin. Not enough room in the engine bay.