Tips and tricks for removing a LA115 engine?

Jrork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. It looks like I lost the compression release mechanism off the cam of our B&S 19.5 motor and I'm going to swap out the cams and everything else is perfect PLUS the motor runs flawlessly when I get it to start.

So, given that are their any tricks and tips on how best to remove the motor so I can swap the cam. I have a full workshop so tools are not a problem and I would classify myself as above average backyard gearhead. I just know there's always tips/tricks to anything that others have discovered by necessity that might make it easier. In particular is the lower pulley off the crankshaft.

Any suggestions or recommendations are very welcome..... Thanks a ton.john

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
About the only trick as such is to remove the flywheel while the engine is still in the mower

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not to say it can’t happen, but it is rare for the compression release on that model to go bad. Have you made sure that the valve clearances are correct and that the valves are closing properly. Why do you feel you have a broken part? Lot easier to rebuild heads than pulling engine. Please post your engine model numbers and I’ll see if I can get a service manual. Your choice as to which route to go.