Toro Z Master Deck Leveling and Greasing

AaronZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a few questions about leveling the deck and greasing the mower. I am one of those that follow the directions but like to know why I need to do something a specific way:))

1. What is the significance of setting the deck to 3 inches when leveling the deck? I noticed that the majority of mowers use the 3 inch height when leveling the deck and can't figure out why I can't use the 4 inch setting.

2. On my Toro, the deck is even on the front, back and sides. It seems to me if I use the bottom of the deck to level it, the only thing that would do is make the exact height maybe 1/4 inch off from the 3" setting. I can certainly live with that. Am I missing something?

3. The manual says to put grease in until you see it come out on the bottom of the deck. I always thought it was bad to break the seal. I did that the first time I greased it but now I just put in 15 pumps of grease on every other cutting and nothing comes out the bottom. Does anyone see a problem with this? Oh, and this is just on the spindles I am talking about.

Thanks!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make sure tire pressures are set before starting to level.

1. You may use whatever height you like, just makes it easy to get your hand in there.
2. Decks are not all flat and spindles are set at different heights. Level on the blade tips. Side to side should be the same height, plus or minus 1/16”. Front should be 1/8”-1/4” loser than the back.
3. You method of greasing is just fine, don’t change.

AaronZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets.
I had no idea the spindles are set at different heights.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not all spindles are set at different heights, in fact most are not. But, do you want to check every spindle you work on. Much easier to work off the blade tips.