HRX217HXA crankshaft replacement

dbcooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

I have two questions:

My mower has low hours and was working perfectly until the mower hit a solid object hidden in the grass. Crankshaft got bent so I ordered a new one. The new one came with the plastic timing/governor gear. After I indexed the gear and pushed firmly against the crank and put the case halves together, I noticed a hissing noise when I rotated the crank. At first I though it might be the belt so I slid it off the cam pulley. Noise remained. It appears to be coming from the plastic gear turning the governor gear. Is some slight low frequency hissing/rubbing noise normal, at least until they wear in together? Is there a governor gear version for the plastic timing gear on the crank? Is there some kind of assembly issue?

2. Minor issue
I only see one key being used to fix the blade clutch to the crankshaft, and no key shown to fix the drive pulley to the crankshaft.
The crankshaft has two key ways on the bottom end and I only can find key in my parts reassembly bin. My first thought is that it must use two keys and I just dropped one taking it out, I cannot see how engine rotation is transferred to the drive pulley otherwise. Maybe the drive pulley is sold with a key and they are now listed separately. I figure the drive pulley turns at all times with the crank and should have a key.

Does anyone have experience with either of these issues?

Thanks in advance,
db

engine serial: GJAAA-1190971
ENGINE FAMILY 3HNXS.1871AK

My favorite thing about Honda mowers is that they start well for me. If it does not start on the second pull, it is out of gas.

Attachments

• bladeanddrive2.png
    bladeanddrive2.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 16

dbcooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not wanting to break anything, I split the case open and found the sound. it was simply the piston rings sliding in the cylinder. The hone on the cylinder is still in great shape. Much better than busting parts because of an avoidable problem.

As far as the woodruff keys, the mower needs two keys. I do not know why the honda parts diagram does not show a key for the drive pully. I picked up a key from the hardware store