stumped...oil filter housing

briggstech

Forum Newbie
Threads
installing a newer 2003 b&s 18 hp single cyl. on a 1990 Montgomery wards rider and cant put motor on it cause the oil filter housing hits the steering arm from the steering wheel base to the left front spindle where the block bolts to...question,is there a different steering arm that can be used to bypass the oil filter housing so it don't hit it...????? it came from a 2003 craftsman riding mower with a 6 speed bad transaxle and motor runs perfect...answers please...

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
installing a newer 2003 b&s 18 hp single cyl. on a 1990 Montgomery wards rider and cant put motor on it cause the oil filter housing hits the steering arm from the steering wheel base to the left front spindle where the block bolts to...question,is there a different steering arm that can be used to bypass the oil filter housing so it don't hit it...????? it came from a 2003 craftsman riding mower with a 6 speed bad transaxle and motor runs perfect...answers please...

What about a smaller/shorter oil filter?

How much is it in the way?

briggstech

Forum Newbie
Threads
when you set the motor on the frame,the housing hits the rod and it lacks about 1 inch of aligning all 4 mounting holes up...

briggstech

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am wondering if there is a steering arm that is out there that has a different angle to it that could be used and it would not hit the filter housing...also thought about maybe moving the steering arm and piece under dash to opposite sides and see if that would work,just requires drilling new holes and turning things around 180 degrees and then it would steer on the right side top of spindle..not the left...just trying to see whatother people have done in situations like this...

SidecarFlip

Threads
Put an aluminum blanking plate on the housing, drill and tap for hoses and remote mount the filter

briggstech

Forum Newbie
Threads
cant re mount filter housing its one solid piece on the bottom sump of the motor..it sticks out the side of the bottom sump...only other thing imcan come up with is to find a bottom sump without a filter housing and swap bottom housings..which would delete the problem of hitting the steering arm...OR make a new steering rod out of hardened cold rolled steel and het and bend untili get the correct angle...either way it s ounds like its gonna be a real pain getting this one going....

briggstech

Forum Newbie
Threads
hre is a picture of the same idea I am having with the exception of this picture has the steering rod under the frame..which my rod is not there its on top THIS IS THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING

….

Attachments

• oeltoc09aro_lawn_tractor_oil_chg.jpg
    oeltoc09aro_lawn_tractor_oil_chg.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 31

SidecarFlip

Threads
cant re mount filter housing its one solid piece on the bottom sump of the motor..it sticks out the side of the bottom sump...only other thing imcan come up with is to find a bottom sump without a filter housing and swap bottom housings..which would delete the problem of hitting the steering arm...OR make a new steering rod out of hardened cold rolled steel and het and bend untili get the correct angle...either way it s ounds like its gonna be a real pain getting this one going....

Didn't say that. I said, put a blanking plate on the existing housing and relocate the filter, or put a blanking plate with a bypass hose and eliminate the filter entirely. I guess you could fab up a new steering rod from water hardening drill rod and go that route as well but in as much as you didn't have a clue about the blanking plate, not sure you have the expertise to machine a new rod and harden and temper it properly.

Good luck, I'm on the side

Padroo

Threads
I dont know if a oil filter relocation kit i available it would take some research. Small motors still don't have oil filters and older large ones didn't have them either.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Didn't say that. I said, put a blanking plate on the existing housing and relocate the filter, or put a blanking plate with a bypass hose and eliminate the filter entirely. I guess you could fab up a new steering rod from water hardening drill rod and go that route as well but in as much as you didn't have a clue about the blanking plate, not sure you have the expertise to machine a new rod and harden and temper it properly.

Good luck, I'm on the side

Pics of "SHORTER" filter AND the block-off /bypass plate .. (top & bottom views)

1111oil filter.JPG...11111cover # 1.jpg...11111COVER # 2.jpeg was suggested to modify cap to install "BY-PASS" hoses much the same as some auto engine-swaps have to do ......... just Google automotive oil-filter by-pass kits............ might be easier for us to figure something, if you remove filter, and place eng. on frame and post several pics !!