Ever worth it to buy 4-cycle No Ethanol Fuel?

itsgalf

Threads
I understand that ethanol fuel is pretty terrible for small engines and ethanol free fuel is the way to go, but for me I don't think there's any gas stations nearby selling ethanol-free fuel since I live in Northern VA outside of DC.

When I go to the box stores they sell the TruFuel 4cycle ethanol-free fuel in those 32 fl.oz. cans. But at the price they're selling it, it basically comes out to ~$20 per gallon. Any justification to buying this stuff? Or just buy ethanol fuel and make sure to always use fuel stabilizer?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't see how fuel stabilizers would do any good. You need to drain ethanol fuel out and even then, if there are components in the fuel system that are incompatible with ethanol, they are already damaged somewhat and will continue to be damaged with further use of fuel contaminated with alcohol.

I've bought the 2-cycle variety just to get the cans.

Lawn Addict
Threads
itsgalf- If you are near a marina, they sell 100% gas for boaters. Least that has been my experience.

cpurvis- I have some 2 cycle cans as well.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Airports sell 100LL (100 octane, low lead). It won't be cheap, though.

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's for sure, Boat marinas are pretty proud of their gas as well.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use this Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner ( can be bought at MOST auto parts stores, Walmart ) and have left my gas can sit for 2 months with no issues in my equipment, but, as mentioned before IF you prefer NON-ethanol, your best bet is a marina on the water...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10670-1/overview/

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a lot of VooDoo around fuel.
I can leave fuel in stuff for years with no problems.
The landlord is 800 yards away and his fuel goes off in 2 weeks.
Anything made since about 2000 should be able to run unleaded without damage.
The big problem comes when you are not running the engine.
Some have good luck with goo like Stabil , Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam, while for others it makes no difference.
The best thing you can do is buy your unleaded in small cans ( 1 gal ) and use it all before you buy more.
I ride vintage motorcycles and a lot of old farts with dicky tickers & crook knees drain the fuel from their bikes after every ride and tip it in their car so they always have fresh fuel in the bikes.
My customers are all advised to tip out the fuel when finished then run the carb dry.
Those that follow these instructions rarely have problems and those who don't make generous contributions to my retirement fund.
In the workshop I no longer make up the various 2 stroke mixes in gallon cans, but now use a 1pt mixing bottle fresh every time.

Day temp Night temp, humidity , dew point , humidity all play a part in sending fuel off and I have seen things like a tiller with a steel tank send fuel off while the plastic tanked mower sitting next to it never gives the owner any grief.

SnakeDoctor

Threads
itsgalf- If you are near a marina, they sell 100% gas for boaters. Least that has been my experience.

cpurvis- I have some 2 cycle cans as well.
The Boating Industry is being fooled into think that Ethanol Fuel is the new fuel... I can tell you from experience that it is NOT. This is just a way that the EPA and our Government is helping Big Corn Farmers. I hate the Ethanol Fuel and will not use it. The Marina's do have it though. At least for now.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I want ethanol in my gasoline about as much as I want gasoline in my cooking oil.

'Canned' fuel and 'fresh' fuel would seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. I've talked about this before, but the fuel you buy isn't particularly fresh either; it doesn't begin its life when you pump it at the gas station. In most areas of the country, it's had a long trip via pipeline from a refinery to a distribution center; time spent in a storage tank mixed with other, older gas until it's turn to leave the tank comes. THEN it goes, via truck, to the station.

The canned fuel is even older.

Threads
If you have a local Jobber or a bulk plant in your town they sell to the public and have NON ETHO gas......

Down here in Louisiana any Marina or waterfront fuel dock has the cheapest gas and diesel because of no road tax....

So it's way cheaper than at a local store....... Here a link to a site that shows NON ETHO gas pumps in any state..

BTW I looked at Virginia and seen a few hundred............

//www.pure-gas.org/maps