Owners manual says no premium fuel

soobaroo

Threads
I prefer to use premium non ethanol fuel but the owners manual says not to. The Kawasaki manual says to change gas brand or octane if you get pinging. Is there any reason I shouldn’t run premium? I’m not sure why the mowers manual specifically says do not use premium. Non ethanol only comes in high octane around here.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't use premium but if fuel results in pinging then use higher octane fuels, which amounts to using premium. I don't see a reason for not being able to use premium.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
The only non-ethanol gasoline we can buy around here is called 91 octane premium. I never run the 10% ethanol regular in my small engines.

soobaroo

Threads
I checked the Kawasaki website and it just says there is no advantage to using either ethanol or non ethanol premium. It doesn’t warn against it but says regular with 10% ethanol is fine. I wouldn’t think using premium could cause engine damage I’m just wondering why the manual would be specific about not using it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think it has to do with the amount of carbon left behind. I have a Toro 2-cycle push mower which says not to use premium.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I think the 10% ethanol has messed up many a small engine, particularly if left to sit for several weeks. I won't use ethanol containing gasoline in any of my small engines. Some of them were made pre ethanol. As I said, the only gas around here that is non ethanol is labeled 91 octane premium.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are whole regions where the only choice is ethanol gasoline, including where I am. I use ethanol-free gasoline in my seldom-used handheld equipment such as chainsaws and hedge trimmers but at $30/gallon it would be insane to use it in everything. Consider yourself lucky if you can get ethanol-free gas at the pump!

John Fitzgerald

Threads
There are whole regions where the only choice is ethanol gasoline, including where I am. I use ethanol-free gasoline in my seldom-used handheld equipment such as chainsaws and hedge trimmers but at $30/gallon it would be insane to use it in everything. Consider yourself lucky if you can get ethanol-free gas at the pump!

I can get ethanol free 91 octane at the pump about 2.3 miles from home, but it's been about $3.00 per gallon. I guess a person could use some kind of ethanol neutralizer additive in the gas can, like marine grade stabil.

I consider myself relatively lucky.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use this Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner ( can be bought at MOST auto parts stores, Walmart ) and have left my gas can sit for 2 months with no issues in my equipment, but, as mentioned before IF you prefer NON-ethanol, your best bet is a marina on the water...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...70-1/overview/

soobaroo

Threads
I use this Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner ( can be bought at MOST auto parts stores, Walmart ) and have left my gas can sit for 2 months with no issues in my equipment, but, as mentioned before IF you prefer NON-ethanol, your best bet is a marina on the water...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...70-1/overview/

I’ve been adding Startron ethanol neutralizer to the gas for my mowers. Ethanol free premium only for the trimmers and blower. Using regular gas with the neutralizer is cheaper than paying 80 cents more per gallon for premium but I’m not sure how effective it is.