Deere LX172 w/ 14hp Kaw FC420v electrical ignition problem

kritz

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Deere LX172 w/ 14hp Kaw FC420v electrical ignition problem
I am almost complete with a ground up rebuild of an old LX172 that had been sitting for years. I did a simplied wiring plan using a basic starter key switch rather than the original circuit board the mower was equipped with. Yesterday was judgement day for trying to start it up. Starter, safety switches and accessories all good but upon starting the ignition coil fried. I'm talking melted, smoking bulging coil. This system uses an ignition module. Wiring diagram shows wire from "I" terminal on key switch to module with lead from module to coil. Checking the voltage meter I've got current at the "I" terminal when in the run position and consequently I've got voltage at the wire lead from the module to the coil. From what I've read this lead wire would typically be a kill wire and should carry no current ( which would account for the fried coil) except in systems utilizing an ignition module. I'm not understanding this part given my current problem. Should there be voltage through the lead wire to the coil? I checked the resistance on the module and it appears to be fine. Should I have voltage at the "I" terminal on the key switch or is the switch possibly bad? Maybe the coil was bad?
I'm not overly sad about losing the old coil but I certainly don't want to burn up a new one trouble shooting this.
As for coils, are the aftermarket ebay ones worth it or is it better to pay more for the OEM.

Thanks