Oil filters for Kawasaki

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well if you would call 6 years at university followed by 10 years both as a student & a teacher at our TAFE ,( which is a trade college) sufficient to qualify as an engineer then yes.
I actually ran foundries, worked in analytical labs where amongst other things we tested filter media.
The oil pumps on mower engines are quite low flow and only moderate pressure pumps which is why the bypass pressures are so low.

You posted a link to a short can cutter video telling the world that the Wix filter is good quality with nothing more than a cursory glance at the parts inside
That does not cut the mustard, bypass pressures have to be tested , you can not tell by looking at them if they are good or bad.
Filter media needs to be both flow tested and visually inspected with a microscope, not a can opener and the consistancey of the pleats means nothing apart from the fact tat the pleating machine was making regular ( pretty ) pleats.
What is important is how much the folds reduced the cross section of the paper, not how regular the pleats are or how the end of the paper is joined.

You might note I said you can fit a top shelf filter is you like , the qualifier was it will not make 1 revolution of difference to the engine.
In fact dirty oil is far less of a problem than low or no oil and the angles you mow on is far more important than actual oil filter.
Vertical shaft engines are the lowest quality engines ever produced partially because they are the cheapest engines ever produced.

I see way more engines worn out due to oil starvation from the owners mowing far too steep a slope an having the oil pick up pumping air than I do due to poor oil filtration

Now there is nothing wrong with fitting very expensive filters, they will not hurt your engine.
There is nothing wrong with using synthetic oil either.
But just like putting lipstick on a pig, they don't make much of a difference.

What is important is changing the oil and the more frequent the better as corrosive oil soluible by products of incomplete combustion do far more damage than the particulates which an oil filter removes.

Status
Not open for further replies.