Oil filters for Kawasaki

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhavanti

Threads
If the filter meets or exceeds the "manufacturer's" specifications, it does meet the specs as long as the specs are as stated. Considering the US weights and measures division of each state, the fines are much higher on one filter than the profits for most US filter companies for the year if caught cheating on specifications.

As Doug mentioned earlier in this thread, all his points are a part of meeting and exceeding specifications. Most smaller behind the title companies that contract out to the name brands end up being held to the fire in order to continue receiving contracts by AC, Fram, Purolator, Wix, etc.

Just do your research and buy the one you like the color of as long as it has the by-pass valves, gasket materials because the valve won't bypass if the gasket doesn't hold, etc.

Good luck to you all,

Max

Kremeneon

Threads
After a bunch of searching I found this info for the Kawasaki 49065-7007:
Anti-drain , 7-9 PSI pressure relief , Thread Size: 3/4 " -16, Height: 2 1/4 ", OD: 3 ", Micron: 28.
gasket: OD 2.734 (69mm), ID 2.430 (62mm), H 0.226 (6mm)

Here is a selection of WIX filters with the same threading, OD, and gasket dimensions, listed by order of increasing length/capacity. The 47035 is listed by Wix as a direct cross reference for the 49065-7007

Wix 57035 2.3" tall, Enhanced Cellulose, bypass 8psi, 275 psi burst, 7-9 gpm, 32 micron
Wix 51056 2.7" tall, Enhanced Cellulose, bypass 8-11psi, 275 psi burst, 7-9 gpm, 21 micron
Wix 51348 3.4" tall, Enhanced Cellulose, bypass 8-11psi, 275 psi burst, 7-9 gpm, 21 micron
Wix 51348XP same as 51348 but synthetic media
Wix 51516 4.8" tall, Enhanced Cellulose, bypass 8-11psi, 275 psi burst, 7-9 gpm, 21 micron
Wix 51516XP same as 51516 but synthetic media

EDIT:
For the $/value and extra oil capacity I'll probably get a Wix 51348 or 51516 for my next oil change, I'm not sure if I have any Kawa filters left in my stash. See this cut up of the 51348, seems good to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYn0tFtS2s0

Last edited:

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I found the same info a couple of weeks ago (7-9 PSI, etc.) The Briggs filters are the exact same spec, but quite a bit cheaper than the Kaw 49065-7007 branded filter. The yellow colored Briggs 696854 is supposed to be "deluxe", but is still a few dollars less than the Kaw 49065-7007. Who knows, they may be made on the same line, but branded differently. Neither Briggs nor Kawasaki manufacture filters.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I always get a chuckle out of threads on here... You guys way overthink most things. For the last 30 years (maybe longer) been using the cheapest filters I can buy and never had an issue and that includes filters on my 100 grand farm tractors. not a cheapo lawnmower. Sheeeesh...:laughing:

Kremeneon

Threads
I always get a chuckle out of threads on here... You guys way overthink most things. For the last 30 years (maybe longer) been using the cheapest filters I can buy and never had an issue and that includes filters on my 100 grand farm tractors. not a cheapo lawnmower. Sheeeesh...:laughing:

You know I've been doing some research on the Trimble guidance system on my Grandpa's tractor. it's cool as hell and I'm wondering if I can use it on my yard ;) (not really, wayy too $$, but just thinking about if it were possible.)

SidecarFlip

Threads
I never get concerned with lawnmowers and small engines. They all get the same oil my tractors do. 5-40 Rotella T6. I buy it in 55 gallon drums. Whatever filters are on sale work, except for the high pressure hydraulic systems., they get special OEM filters because of the pressures involved.

Never had has one issue with any small engine. I do, do oil analysis (Blackstone) on my ag equipment and vehicles, every oil change. Small motors, never. They get an oil change and filter change every fall. Thats it. Clean the air filters and good to go. My 10 year old M60 tank zero turn (27 horse Kawasaki still has the original air filter installed. I clean the pre filter and blow out the filter and put it back on. Never an issue. It gets the same 'Generac' extended run filters my 17 KW house standby gets. Buy them by the dozen every couple years.

It's human nature make a simple thing complex and then rationalize it. Why I mostly read along and chuckle at a lot of posts on here. It's good entertainment for me. Do I buy into most of it? Nope.

A self steering lawnmower would be interesting. The price of admission would be prohibitive. I run Greenstar and it's base price is 20 grand and you still have to manually steer at the headlands.

Interesting forum. Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here can actually put their pants on with the zipper in the front....:laughing:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting forum. Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here can actually put their pants on with the zipper in the front....:laughing:

Then why are you polluting this forum? I have my doubts that anybody will miss your "wisdom" should you vanish. Seems like the forum got along pretty well before you showed up. There are quite a few people on here who give MUCH better advice, without the immature, condescending attitude.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a similar vein to similar to Sidecarflip on this one.
Mower engines are very basic and putting space shuttle filters on these dinosaurs is some what of a waste, won't hurt but won't make any difference to the running or the life of the engine.

Also treat all these video camera U-Tube heros with the contempt that they deserve.
A few sound convincing and even logical but not a one I have ever looked at was done by a person with the faintest understanding of what they were talking about.
A line from the "Fish Called Wanda" movies always comes to mind when I watch most U-tube posts "monkeys can read philosophy,,, they just don't understand what they are reading" ( or something similar ).
A down side to cheap Chinese die grinders & cheaper video cameras.
The skin on the air bus is glued onto the frame , the creamic heat shield on the space shuttle are glued to the skin so perhaps the glues used by factories are not quite the same as the glues you can buy at Walmart
A bypass filter on a mower engine will flow more volume than the pump can pump if it is open 0.005" so no need to have a 2" coil spring with 1.75" of travel pushing everything together.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Then why are you polluting this forum? I have my doubts that anybody will miss your "wisdom" should you vanish. Seems like the forum got along pretty well before you showed up. There are quite a few people on here who give MUCH better advice, without the immature, condescending attitude.

I'm here for entertainment and to read your lame posts.... Not vanishing. Here to stay and follow your lame posts around. Least you've learned how to spell better. That is refreshing.

Kremeneon

Threads
On a similar vein to similar to Sidecarflip on this one.
Mower engines are very basic and putting space shuttle filters on these dinosaurs is some what of a waste, won't hurt but won't make any difference to the running or the life of the engine.
Nobody is talking about space shuttle filters. we are talking about options for cost savings, and options for larger oil capacity in the engine. You may value your cash differently than I do but the Kawasaki in my hustler is worth over $1k and I take very good care of it.

condescending babble...

A bypass filter on a mower engine will flow more volume than the pump can pump if it is open 0.005" so no need to have a 2" coil spring with 1.75" of travel pushing everything together.
I have not seen this spec anywhere, are you an Engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.