72" turf tiger blowing belts

ackid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, first time on forum.Have a 72" turf tiger keeps blowing belts.First scag belt lasted all season,about 50 hrs mower time. Replaced that belt this spring,lasted about 40 hrs.Checked all pulleys and idlers,the only problem I can find is the center pulley looks like the hub was welded not square ,has about 3/16 deflection.This is a commercial machine and I should be able to go more than 50 hrs on a belt.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi everyone, first time on forum.Have a 72" turf tiger keeps blowing belts.First scag belt lasted all season,about 50 hrs mower time. Replaced that belt this spring,lasted about 40 hrs.Checked all pulleys and idlers,the only problem I can find is the center pulley looks like the hub was welded not square ,has about 3/16 deflection.This is a commercial machine and I should be able to go more than 50 hrs on a belt.

the v pulleys can look good but be worn so as the belt rides too far down into the pulley...this as best I remember is posted by bertmobile1.
He said look for shiny wear in the bottom of the pulley.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
the v pulleys can look good but be worn so as the belt rides too far down into the pulley...this as best I remember is posted by bertmobile1.
He said look for shiny wear in the bottom of the pulley.

We normally get 400+ hours out of the first belts on a new Scag.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Not sure what you are trying to say here.
Post a pickie please ?

Next blown a belt is not a good description.
Belts break in a particular way depending upon what is causing the failure.
So get another belt and pull the new one off after say 20 hours .
The wear pattern will tell us ( or you for that matter ) what is wrong or at least where to look .
Briggs do a nice little booklet called "V-Belt Trouble Shooting and Failure Analysis Guide"
Husqvarna also have one as does Gates, Dunlop & every other belt maker.
When you take the old worn but not broken belt off mark which way was up before you pull it off.

Search around a bit and find a guide that has good colour pictures in it.
If you have the old belt then take some pickies of it but generally when the belt has fallen off you get secondary damage that masks the original problem

Padroo

Threads
Did you replace the belt with a Scag belt, not all belts are the same.

Did you check all pulleys and sheaves for drag by turning them with the belt removed.

Is there any misalignment and is the belt tension set up according to Scag?

Here is a Gates belt video showing how to use belt gauges to check you pulleys and belts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MtHNzOq3g