HRC216HXA self propel issuse

rainman1442

Threads
This my 3rd HRC and was purchased 7/15. My first one is still running after 9 years of 30+ yards per week here in MD. My second, the transmission began leaking last season after 8 years and now I use it for parts. Anyway, I've been babying the 3rd one for over a month now. It will run great most of the time but at times the self propel will barely run and then I release the self propel bar and it will then engage and run good. At times, it seems to be grinding to get going. It even seems to hold back and slow down on slight declines. The transmission seems to have oil residue on it near the CV shaft and cable as the grass is sticking to it and its oily. I've got no drips on the bottom of the case however. I've been adding Honda hydrostatic oil to it periodically and it seems to help although I can't really see the oil level inside the tranny or on the dipstick.

After 3 years, I'm puzzled as to why I'd be having tranny problems. Any ideas or suggestions? A new tranny is over $400 but a new mower is over $1400.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.