Vanguard 16 hp running rough

1mk2

Threads
Mike If it was the my shop I would take it off the engine, pull the bowl off and clean the main jet (should be easily seen with the bowl off). It is located in the center of the float. Also while you have the carb off, flip it upright and move the float up and down and watch the needle move. If it hangs any what so ever you will need to replace it. If it moves freely it is good to go. Make sure the carb is pretty level when you do this. Carb cleaner is fine to use. I use a ultra sonic cleaner and blow them out with forced air. Hope this helps!

Thanks, I didn't see your post till now, I was just looking at it and trying to see how and what I need to do to take it off. It looks like it is going to be quite a job to take off but I do think what you say is the best for me to do. Thanks so much,

Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mike ,
You should find all the instructions you need at http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/.
The only one missing is to take a photograph of everything before you remove it and after you remove it so you will have a refferrence when you come to putting it back together the way it was.

1mk2

Threads
I went to that site and couldn't find my carb there. I have a vanguard 16hp model 305447 and the carb is 305447-0001-F1. I am going to have my brother take a look at it but it appears the bolts that hold the carb in place are under the carb body and I can't get a wrench at them without tearing half the mower apart unless I am missing something that's why I am going to ask my brother to take a look to see if I am looking at it correctly. Nothing is ever easy.

Thanks,

Mike

1mk2

Threads
I went to that site and couldn't find my carb there. I have a vanguard 16hp model 305447 and the carb is 305447-0001-F1. I am going to have my brother take a look at it but it appears the bolts that hold the carb in place are under the carb body and I can't get a wrench at them without tearing half the mower apart unless I am missing something that's why I am going to ask my brother to take a look to see if I am looking at it correctly. Nothing is ever easy.

Thanks,

Mike

OO.JPG AA.JPGBB.JPGCC.JPG

I am hoping these photo's come out. Where my screw driver is pointing is where the Carb is bolted from underneath the front (red) plate so I would have to remove that plate which would involve my taking the shaft off also. Another photo from the rear of the mower shows a bolt on the bottom of the carb (it is hard to see but I have a screw driver pointing at it. If the carb would be easy to take off I would tackle this job but I am uncomfortable not knowing what exactly I am getting myself into to get to the bolts for the removal of the carb. I am going to replace all fuel lines and clean what I can of the carb and put everything back together and hope for the best but if I still have a problem I will take it somewhere to have it done. Any advice on anything else I can do to the carb without taking it off that might help?

thanks for everyone's help,

Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If everything was easy this forum would not exist.
So yes the red blower housing has to come off.
In fact it should come off every season of two the clean the cooling fins.
To pull that off the finger guard ( round bit ) has to come off first

When the guard comes off you will see the carb is not as hard to remove as you thought.
Remember the photos and in particular the ends where a rod or spring fits into a lever because the engines are multi functional so there is usually quite a few holes

1mk2

Threads
If everything was easy this forum would not exist.
So yes the red blower housing has to come off.
In fact it should come off every season of two the clean the cooling fins.
To pull that off the finger guard ( round bit ) has to come off first

When the guard comes off you will see the carb is not as hard to remove as you thought.
Remember the photos and in particular the ends where a rod or spring fits into a lever because the engines are multi functional so there is usually quite a few holes

I am not sure I understand. If you look at the finger guard in the photo you will see that coming out of the center of the guard is the drive shaft, is this what you are calling the finger? Must both ends of the drive shaft be taken off? If this was a small mower all I would have to do is take the finger guard off as you say and the carb would be easy to remove but I never tackled a drive shaft coming out of the engine such as on the Grasshopper and am not sure of the removal.

Thanks,

Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never pulled a hopper apart but most of the front drive mowers will have a telescoping PTO shaft.
So when the nuts come off the rod should push forward about an inch, just enough to get the finger guard off.
The blower housing gets pulled forward over the shaft but left in the mower.
The carb, complete with the manifold gets removed as a unit by removing the manifold bots to the head which are fairly easy to get at.
On some you can wiggle the carb & manifold out with the blower housing in place.
Remove the spark plugs and put some rope down the plug hole to lock the piston so you can undo the PTO bolts if they are stuck fast, do not hold the shaft with Stilsons or Vice Grips.

Last edited:

1mk2

Threads
Check out sections 4 & 1 ..... might be of help ........

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1yZHlwUk9CWlNwYVE/edit

Wow, thanks so much there is some very useful info there. I have saved this site to my computer, appreciate this info very much. I am still trying to figure out how to get to the carb to take it off, This is my first Grasshopper and I am not sure of the procedure of taking off the drive shaft so I can get the front plate of the engine off to get in under the carb where the mounting bolts are. If not for this I would already have the carb off and cleaned. When and if I am able to get the carb off the info you passed along will be priceless to me and it is something I will always keep while I own the Grasshopper.

Thanks again,

Mike

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow, thanks so much there is some very useful info there. I have saved this site to my computer, appreciate this info very much. I am still trying to figure out how to get to the carb to take it off, This is my first Grasshopper and I am not sure of the procedure of taking off the drive shaft so I can get the front plate of the engine off to get in under the carb where the mounting bolts are. If not for this I would already have the carb off and cleaned. When and if I am able to get the carb off the info you passed along will be priceless to me and it is something I will always keep while I own the Grasshopper.

Thanks again,

Mike

You're quite Welcome, .. Boo

ALSO : as stated in post # 12 ...... PICTURES take lots of em, and especially of SPRINGS & LINKAGES !!