John deere 757/ 25 hp Kawasaki

SnakeDoctor

Threads
I have a 757 JD Z Trac and have had great service with it. Lately with the hour meter showing 1000 hours and just changing the mule belt I am experiencing fuel shut off and engine runs and a low rpm and then quits. I can see fuel in the fuel filter and use non ethanol fuel. Mower will run an hour or so then it shuts down. I replaced both coil packs last year and this mower is service regularly. I have heard the solenoid in the may be bad. When I let it sit for a few minutes and try to start it up again it has to be choked for a bit for fuel to reach the carb or start. This is the only issue I have right now. If anyone has a remedy for it I am open for listening to your help. Thanks for your help in advance. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the last time you cleaned out the fuel tank ?
You get floating debris in there that gets sucked into the outlet tube, not enough to totally block off the fuel flow all together nut enough to slow it down so it can not keep up with the engine.
Also the air inlet can get blocked.
This could be a vent in the cap or a tube with a charcoal filter on it.

So start by running will the cap loose.
Problem goes away then it is venting

No joy, remove cap and fuel line at the first joiner ( filter usually and blow some compressed air back up the line.
Mows for a lot longer means there is debris in the tank.

After 1000 hours both of these could be happening.

SnakeDoctor

Threads
When was the last time you cleaned out the fuel tank ?
You get floating debris in there that gets sucked into the outlet tube, not enough to totally block off the fuel flow all together nut enough to slow it down so it can not keep up with the engine.
Also the air inlet can get blocked.
This could be a vent in the cap or a tube with a charcoal filter on it.

So start by running will the cap loose.
Problem goes away then it is venting

No joy, remove cap and fuel line at the first joiner ( filter usually and blow some compressed air back up the line.
Mows for a lot longer means there is debris in the tank.

After 1000 hours both of these could be happening.

I have not cleaned out the tank..... I'm sure I should after 1000 hours. Used an LED bright light and it looks clean, no saying that dregs could be in the lower end of the tank. Siphoning from the loser end with a pump might show the dregs after a gallon or so. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Talked to a tech today and he thought it may be an intermittent open on the positive side wire going to the fuel solenoid. I will try all 3 suggestions though. I have over 3 acres to maintain one or twice a week depending on the growth. Thanks. I will post my findings. Some other tech may be able to use the info when I find the true answer or final repair.

dfbroxy

Threads
This is not the first thing I would check but it is a posibility. The old fuel lines could be in need of replacing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Eliminate the solenoid as a problem by replacing it with a short bolt plus copper washer
5/16 UNF ( from unreliable memory ) .
When running like this throttle down to lowest speed for about a minute before shutting off or you will get a big bang from the exhaust.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.

SnakeDoctor

Threads
Eliminate the solenoid as a problem by replacing it with a short bolt plus copper washer
5/16 UNF ( from unreliable memory ) .
When running like this throttle down to lowest speed for about a minute before shutting off or you will get a big bang from the exhaust.

Sounds like a great start and I will try that too. What's the best way to get the solenoid out of the carb ( thin wrench ). The wires do have leads on them. Rather not cut them yet.
I plan on changing the fuel filter this morning. When to Tractor Supply and got a 40 Micron filter under the Briggs & Stratton name. $9 bucks and made in India. Go figure. I am getting great responses from this post and I do thank all of you.:wink:

SnakeDoctor

Threads
Sounds like a great start and I will try that too. What's the best way to get the solenoid out of the carb ( thin wrench ). The wires do have leads on them. Rather not cut them yet.
I plan on changing the fuel filter this morning. When to Tractor Supply and got a 40 Micron filter under the Briggs & Stratton name. $9 bucks and made in India. Go figure. I am getting great responses from this post and I do thank all of you.:wink:

I hope that this 40 Micron filter is not to small and restrict the fuel flow. Any body know what the actual Micron is called for on the Kawasaki 25 hp is susposed to be? Help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wires either plug into the solenoid or have a plug a bit further away.
Some have a ground wire that bolts into one of the cooling cover bolts
Yes a thin wrench 1/2" usually and if you have one of those pressed metal ones they are perfect.