Murray MTD 2510 trimmer plastic crankcase cover

toonz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey folks-
I have a Murray (mtd) M2510 trimmer here. Been using good gas and proper oil since it was brand new; it's about a year and a half to 2 years old. Thing stopped dead on the wife the other day, so I had a look. Wound up taking the plastic crankcase cover off, and found that the lower part of the piston connecting rod had separated from the "flywheel" or counterbalance- whatever you wish to call it. There is a round crank pin that goes through the hole in the lower end of the connecting rod and through a hole in the flywheel. That pin had been slowly grinding away on the inside of the plastic crankcase cover, until it eventually created enough clearance for the pin to come out of the flywheel/counterbalance.

With the exception of the rear plastic cover, everything looks to be fine. I am planning on putting the pin back where it belongs, and putting a new plastic cover on. Am I wasting my time and the $5 bucks for a new cover? I can't see where there was any type of clip to hold that pin in place- it appears to just float in there. Is this correct, or is something missing, which will cause the pin to eat a hole in the new cover in short order?

Thanks!

primerbulb120

Threads
It's supposed to be a press fit, shouldn't slide in easily. You'll need to put a new crankshaft in to prevent it from happening again. Usually the root cause of the problem is overheating or lack of proper lubrication.

toonz

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's supposed to be a press fit, shouldn't slide in easily. You'll need to put a new crankshaft in to prevent it from happening again. Usually the root cause of the problem is overheating or lack of proper lubrication.

Yeah, overheating is a distinct possibility. The wife uses it a lot- probably more than what most would consider "typical". I don't think it was a lube issue- there was a healthy amount in there when I disassembled it.

I hate tools designed to be disposable...

Thanks.