Repairs Mower blades don't always engage.

jjdc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere 48 inch walk behind that the cutting blades don't always engage when the switch is pulled. After pull starting the engine when cold they will start first time, after running for a hour or so I will shut off the blades but not the engine. When going to resume mowing they may not engage with out waiting for awhile. Once the blades are going they run fine. This mower does no have a battery. I assume in order for the blade clutch to start it needs the proper voltage. There is what looks to be a capacitor? condenser? mounted on the frame behind the engine does this store electricity while the engine runs for a blade restart? So my question is why would the blades run fine when the machine is cold but not always restart after use, and what does the blade clutch need to engage? Any help would be great, Thanks Joe in New York.

Paulman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not the same mower, but on my new JD rider, the mower blades stopped engaging. The fix was as simple as pulling the connector off the bottom of the switch and re-inserting it. Must not have been making good contact.

I hope yours is as simple!

jjdc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not the same mower, but on my new JD rider, the mower blades stopped engaging. The fix was as simple as pulling the connector off the bottom of the switch and re-inserting it. Must not have been making good contact.

I hope yours is as simple!

I will check it out and get back to you if it works. Thanks for your reply, Joe

mystic240

Threads
Also the electric clutch could have too large of a gap. Don't know what the gap should be, (maybe 10 or 15 thousands). Use a feeler gauge and then adjust the three nuts equally.

jjdc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also the electric clutch could have too large of a gap. Don't know what the gap should be, (maybe 10 or 15 thousands). Use a feeler gauge and then adjust the three nuts equally.

Thank You I will check the clutch specs when I pull off the clutch, Joe from New York.