First post looking for a new walk behind residential use

Douglasj76

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / First post looking for a new walk behind residential use
Hello everyone! My lot it about 3/4 acre. I use a older Cub Cadet 1527 garden tractor for the main duty and old Honda Hr215 as a secondary / cleanup option. A lot of the time the Cub cadet will stay in the shed and I'll use my Honda to cut the entire yard. Sometimes I bag, sometimes I mulch... Just depends on how long the grass is when I cut it, and how much yard debris I have. I don't feel the Honda is the best mulcher so I bag a lot. So the Honda is getting long in the tooth. Deck has a pice missing in the front (must have hit something) smokes like crazy until it's warmed up, and a couple of the wheels are pretty worn. I've delayed buying a new one because I inherited it from my late uncle and has sentimental value. Been a great mower but I think it's time to move on.
I've been eyeing up Home Depot Honda lawn mowers in the $500 range, and a local mower dealer has a Toro 20383 in stock for $599. Here's what's important: self propelled, good at mulching and bagging, I have a ton of leaves in the fall so being good at chopping up leaves into a bag is a big plus as well. Also, blade control, and provide a nice cut.
I would lean towards the Toro at $599 but that price is a little out of my comfort range and the dealer doesn't seem to be willing to budge on price. I'm more comfortable spending around $400 but may be able to swing $500 if it's the right one. I am open to used but anything decent is rare and sells quick. I was thinking this is a good time of year to buy as we are approaching fall but prices don't seem to fluctuate. Any ideas would be welcome.

ukrkoz

Threads
Prices will fall down winter time, when mowing is none. Make it through then with what you have.
I'd not be buying anything from the BigThree family. The T mowers.
Get another Honda, as simple and straight as you can find them. Don't fall for gimmicks like electric start. i'd not buy a self propelled one either. Large wheeled mower is easy to push and you do not have to act against active wheels or, anyway, push it up the hill or through wet areas.
Mulching vs cutting... They either mulch, or they cut. It boils down to deck structure. Otherwise, you get a spork, half way good for either task. Doing fancy blades does not do much.
Bagging look for one that has discharge chute as LARGE as you can possibly have it. I have a T mower, Toro, with a chute size half the bag to deck attachment area (?) and the other half plugged with non removable plastic panel. It sucks.
3/4 acre? You can get a decent rider for few hundred backs. Guy who rents my property bought severla yrs old JD for $200. My 42 deck 13 yo Craftsman runs and runs... Just saying.

Douglasj76

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. I may sit and wait to see what happens to prices. I do have a Cub Cadet 1527 that I will use for main cutting duties so I can get by with what I have. Maybe prices will drop November, December?

Douglasj76

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to update this thread for anyone who was looking at it. I ended up getting a 4-5 yr old Honda Hrx217. 190cc engine, blade stop, electric start, hydrostatic drive, and in fantastic condition for $280. I feel like I got a good deal, and will be trying it out for the first time in a couple days. My yard has enormous trees all over and I look forward to see how it does for leaf shredding / pickup this fall. Now the decision is what to do with my old HR214 SX. Sell it or keep it as a backup.

ukrkoz

Threads
Sounds about right price wise.
I kept my 2005 riding Craftsman and never regretted it. I can't kill it. My new ZTR constantly has some quirks and that rider keeps going and going. If you were not short on storage, keep your rider. No need for two push mowers.
Fall time, raise deck up as high as it goes, and simply mulch leaves. That's what I do with my ZTR. Takes some running in circles and leaves dark brown spot but it's all gone in few weeks.