Help the Wizard

the317dad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've done some research on my riding mower, but haven't been able to come up with much information. I have a Wizard, but my model number doesn't seem to be one that comes with a lot of information.

Model #: NOP8184A09
18hp Briggs and Straton with a 45" deck.

I have been wondering how similar most of these machines actually are since I can't actually find anything for this unit. I bought this thing early this year to cut down on my mow time. It worked well until I started trying to make it work better. Go figure. In this time, I have learned a lot, but not enough, lol. I replaced the deck belts with new ones after multiple mentioned how loose they were, which wasn't something I hadn't noticed, but I really didn't want to get in too deep with it. While I was replacing the deck belts, it appeared to me that the spring's hooked to the tensioners were connected in the wrong places, giving the belt's too much slack and not stopping the blade's from spinning while they weren't engaged.

I have also noticed over time that the engagement lever has been very loose, or sloppy. Not in a all around motion like bushings, but loose to the point that I have had to start holding the lever back while I start the mower for it the hold the start button safety feature in.

Does anyone know of a way to find more information on this particular model, or how close the parts usually are for the mowers made by MTD in mass amounts like this one? I have gotten so frustrated with this thing in the last few weeks that I've been tempted to put it out on the side of the road and hope that someone took it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A number of companies built Wizard tractors for Western Auto until they went out of business. MTD, AYP, Bolens, and possibly Murray. Can you post all the Briggs numbers and double check that Wizard number you posted. A couple of pics of your unit might give us a better clue as how we can help you.

the317dad

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model number is correct.

Briggs model # 422707
Type 1512 01

Did a company named Noma make them? I’ve tried to post pictures of it but can’t figure it out yet lol.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes Noma is a company that could have built it. Give us the code number on the engine so we can get an idea of the build date.

the317dad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Code 89121612

From what I’ve learned, this one was made by Noma. But that’s a guess at best.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your engine was built in late ‘89 so your unit was probably a 90. When I get a chance, I’ll see what I have in my files on Noma.