Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    Location
    United States
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Engine will only run for a few min?

    Why would a engine (Briggs & Stratton) in my mower only run for a few min and then just stop? It started right up the first run then dies after a few min then i had to use starter fluid to get it to run again and it ran for 3-4 min then dies.

    I don't think it would run for a few min on starter fluid alone. This mower only has 8 hours on it but it is from 2012 the gas is not from 2012

    Is it bad gas? I'm using the same gas on another mower and it has no issues.

  2.  

  3. #2
    Boobala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    6,554
    Location
    Central Fl. about 2 hours from DAYTONA !
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    Why would a engine (Briggs & Stratton) in my mower only run for a few min and then just stop? It started right up the first run then dies after a few min then i had to use starter fluid to get it to run again and it ran for 3-4 min then dies.

    I don't think it would run for a few min on starter fluid alone. This mower only has 8 hours on it but it is from 2012 the gas is not from 2012

    Is it bad gas? I'm using the same gas on another mower and it has no issues.
    I would first make sure the gas cap is vented OK, then if no dice, a THOROUGH cleaning of the ENTIRE fuel system, including SUPER cleaning the gas tank, replace fuel shutoff valve, fuel filter, & hoses then if no good, time for a carburetor cleaning or O/H, we have O/H and cleaning guides available for MOST Briggs engines but we will need your engine model and code numbers ...also check for a dirty air filter ... keep us up dated .....


    Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

    Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    Location
    United States
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobala View Post
    I would first make sure the gas cap is vented OK, then if no dice, a THOROUGH cleaning of the ENTIRE fuel system, including SUPER cleaning the gas tank, replace fuel shutoff valve, fuel filter, & hoses then if no good, time for a carburetor cleaning or O/H, we have O/H and cleaning guides available for MOST Briggs engines but we will need your engine model and code numbers ...also check for a dirty air filter ... keep us up dated .....
    You don't think it would be the gas? I'm not sure how old it is.

    I will give it another try.

    Thanks for the help.

    BTW what do you do with old gas?

  5. #4
    Boobala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    6,554
    Location
    Central Fl. about 2 hours from DAYTONA !
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    You don't think it would be the gas? I'm not sure how old it is.

    I will give it another try.

    Thanks for the help.

    BTW what do you do with old gas?
    In Central Florida ( dependant on location ) we have burn-pits where ya can burn most land-cleaning debris, trees, bushes, logs, paper but NO garbage or plastics ( common-sense ) I use my old gas for lighting the fire .. VERY carefully !!


    Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

    Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844

  6. #5
    sgkent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    78
    Location
    California
    Mower
    and others

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    Why would a engine (Briggs & Stratton) in my mower only run for a few min and then just stop? It started right up the first run then dies after a few min then i had to use starter fluid to get it to run again and it ran for 3-4 min then dies.

    I don't think it would run for a few min on starter fluid alone. This mower only has 8 hours on it but it is from 2012 the gas is not from 2012

    Is it bad gas? I'm using the same gas on another mower and it has no issues.
    what is the air cleaner like? Have you been using it in a really dusty environment, or is the air cleaner wet? I've seen this before when the air cleaner is causing the mixture to be too rich. Tight valves can cause this too but that wouldn't be the case on a new engine. But an engine stored for awhile in a damp area could get a damp filter.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    Location
    United States
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by sgkent View Post
    what is the air cleaner like? Have you been using it in a really dusty environment, or is the air cleaner wet? I've seen this before when the air cleaner is causing the mixture to be too rich. Tight valves can cause this too but that wouldn't be the case on a new engine. But an engine stored for awhile in a damp area could get a damp filter.
    I've left the air filter off and it still dies in a few min also left the gas cap loose. Changed the fuel filter fuel flow arrow towards carb right?

    Think i will just drain the gas and try new fuel.

  8. #7
    Boobala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    6,554
    Location
    Central Fl. about 2 hours from DAYTONA !
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Chris .. RE-READ my post ..# 2 ....... if the carburetor linkage has NOT been fooled with and is operating correctly, and you follow the steps I outlined we can eliminate 1/2 the fuel system, and move on to the last half... it's your call ....... YES ..... arrow towards the CARBURETOR


    Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

    Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844

  9. #8

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Mower
    Craftsman

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    I've got a similar problem with my elderly (at least 20 years) Yard-Man mower w/ 3.75 Briggs engine and Walbro carburetor.

    Toward the end of this mowing season, it wouldn't start, period. So I:

    --cleaned spark plug and air filter
    --removed carb and confirmed that gas was flowing from the tank to the carb
    --took apart carb and there was plenty of fuel in the bowl, so the needle valve wasn't stuck.
    --the carb itself was reasonably clean, but a couple of small holes were clogged. Unclogged everything, cleaned w/ carb cleaner and re-assembled. The o-ring between the carb and the engine manifold was in good shape.
    --put everything back together, gave the priming bulb a couple of pumps, and the engine fired right up on the first pull
    --ran fine for about five minutes, then started to "hunt" mildly, then gently died. More severe hunting has been noticed for several years, but not to the point of the engine dying.
    --if I push the priming bulb a couple of times, it will start immediately and run from 2 to 5 minutes before gently dying again -- sometimes after mild hunting, sometimes after running normally. This process can be repeated indefinitely, as far as I can tell.

    I admit that one thing I haven't tried (yet) is to check whether the gas cap is plugged.

    Also, I've never fooled with any of the adjusting screws (2) on the carb. And the throttle cable gave up the ghost several years ago, so I wired the linkage so the engine runs at approx 80 percent of full throttle, which works fine.

    Any thoughts?

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,299
    Location
    Australia
    Mower
    Victa slashers & Push , Rover Rancher II's, Cox ( several ) & White LT120 + GT 200

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Better than average chance you have a blockage in the fuel system, either internally in the carb or externally in the fuel supply system.
    You are getting enough fuel into the engine to start it but not enough to maintain running.
    The carb has 2 circuits, idle & run.
    The idle circuit will flow enough fuel to start the engine but not to run at any speed above low idle.

    Try starting the engine then instantly throttling down and see if it will run for longer.

    Fit some sort of alternative fuel tank held above the carb.
    Problem goes away = fuel delivery problem
    problem stays = carb problem

    As for stale old fuel, pop it in a modern fuel injected car, they will burn any trash liquid.

    Go to http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/ and check the photo manual for cleaning your carb.

  11. #10

    1,000 Post Club
    Boudreaux In Eunice La.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,935
    Location
    Louisiana
    Mower
    A bunch of dem things.....

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Healey View Post
    I've got a similar problem with my elderly (at least 20 years) Yard-Man mower w/ 3.75 Briggs engine and Walbro carburetor.

    Toward the end of this mowing season, it wouldn't start, period. So I:

    --cleaned spark plug and air filter
    --removed carb and confirmed that gas was flowing from the tank to the carb
    --took apart carb and there was plenty of fuel in the bowl, so the needle valve wasn't stuck.
    --the carb itself was reasonably clean, but a couple of small holes were clogged. Unclogged everything, cleaned w/ carb cleaner and re-assembled. The o-ring between the carb and the engine manifold was in good shape.
    --put everything back together, gave the priming bulb a couple of pumps, and the engine fired right up on the first pull
    --ran fine for about five minutes, then started to "hunt" mildly, then gently died. More severe hunting has been noticed for several years, but not to the point of the engine dying.
    --if I push the priming bulb a couple of times, it will start immediately and run from 2 to 5 minutes before gently dying again -- sometimes after mild hunting, sometimes after running normally. This process can be repeated indefinitely, as far as I can tell.

    I admit that one thing I haven't tried (yet) is to check whether the gas cap is plugged.

    Also, I've never fooled with any of the adjusting screws (2) on the carb. And the throttle cable gave up the ghost several years ago, so I wired the linkage so the engine runs at approx 80 percent of full throttle, which works fine.

    Any thoughts?
    I assume since you say 3.75 that it's a Classic engine with the carb screwed to the tank.... Did you change the gasket and diaphram ???? When the carb is off you should empty the tank and clean it well then clean where the smaller pickup goes in... Some people don't even look at it much less clean it.... Then spray carb clean in the holes on the tank on the shiny machined area where the carb sets..... Clean the screens on the pickups and you should be good to go .... If you still have trouble let us know.........
    Briggs and Stratton Dealer, Warranty center for Tractor Supply Co.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-02-2018, 11:16 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2018, 11:11 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  4. J D 185 dies after about 30 min of run time.
    By BNG in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •