Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    Location
    United States
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Engine will only run for a few min?

    Why would a engine (Briggs & Stratton) in my mower only run for a few min and then just stop? It started right up the first run then dies after a few min then i had to use starter fluid to get it to run again and it ran for 3-4 min then dies.

    I don't think it would run for a few min on starter fluid alone. This mower only has 8 hours on it but it is from 2012 the gas is not from 2012

    Is it bad gas? I'm using the same gas on another mower and it has no issues.

  2.  

  3. #2
    Boobala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,662
    Location
    Central Fl. about 2 hours from DAYTONA !
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    Why would a engine (Briggs & Stratton) in my mower only run for a few min and then just stop? It started right up the first run then dies after a few min then i had to use starter fluid to get it to run again and it ran for 3-4 min then dies.

    I don't think it would run for a few min on starter fluid alone. This mower only has 8 hours on it but it is from 2012 the gas is not from 2012

    Is it bad gas? I'm using the same gas on another mower and it has no issues.
    I would first make sure the gas cap is vented OK, then if no dice, a THOROUGH cleaning of the ENTIRE fuel system, including SUPER cleaning the gas tank, replace fuel shutoff valve, fuel filter, & hoses then if no good, time for a carburetor cleaning or O/H, we have O/H and cleaning guides available for MOST Briggs engines but we will need your engine model and code numbers ...also check for a dirty air filter ... keep us up dated .....


    Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

    Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    Location
    United States
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobala View Post
    I would first make sure the gas cap is vented OK, then if no dice, a THOROUGH cleaning of the ENTIRE fuel system, including SUPER cleaning the gas tank, replace fuel shutoff valve, fuel filter, & hoses then if no good, time for a carburetor cleaning or O/H, we have O/H and cleaning guides available for MOST Briggs engines but we will need your engine model and code numbers ...also check for a dirty air filter ... keep us up dated .....
    You don't think it would be the gas? I'm not sure how old it is.

    I will give it another try.

    Thanks for the help.

    BTW what do you do with old gas?

  5. #4
    Boobala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,662
    Location
    Central Fl. about 2 hours from DAYTONA !
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    You don't think it would be the gas? I'm not sure how old it is.

    I will give it another try.

    Thanks for the help.

    BTW what do you do with old gas?
    In Central Florida ( dependant on location ) we have burn-pits where ya can burn most land-cleaning debris, trees, bushes, logs, paper but NO garbage or plastics ( common-sense ) I use my old gas for lighting the fire .. VERY carefully !!


    Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

    Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    41
    Location
    California
    Mower
    and others

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    Why would a engine (Briggs & Stratton) in my mower only run for a few min and then just stop? It started right up the first run then dies after a few min then i had to use starter fluid to get it to run again and it ran for 3-4 min then dies.

    I don't think it would run for a few min on starter fluid alone. This mower only has 8 hours on it but it is from 2012 the gas is not from 2012

    Is it bad gas? I'm using the same gas on another mower and it has no issues.
    what is the air cleaner like? Have you been using it in a really dusty environment, or is the air cleaner wet? I've seen this before when the air cleaner is causing the mixture to be too rich. Tight valves can cause this too but that wouldn't be the case on a new engine. But an engine stored for awhile in a damp area could get a damp filter.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    Location
    United States
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Quote Originally Posted by sgkent View Post
    what is the air cleaner like? Have you been using it in a really dusty environment, or is the air cleaner wet? I've seen this before when the air cleaner is causing the mixture to be too rich. Tight valves can cause this too but that wouldn't be the case on a new engine. But an engine stored for awhile in a damp area could get a damp filter.
    I've left the air filter off and it still dies in a few min also left the gas cap loose. Changed the fuel filter fuel flow arrow towards carb right?

    Think i will just drain the gas and try new fuel.

  8. #7
    Boobala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,662
    Location
    Central Fl. about 2 hours from DAYTONA !
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

    Re: Engine will only run for a few min?

    Chris .. RE-READ my post ..# 2 ....... if the carburetor linkage has NOT been fooled with and is operating correctly, and you follow the steps I outlined we can eliminate 1/2 the fuel system, and move on to the last half... it's your call ....... YES ..... arrow towards the CARBURETOR


    Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

    Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-02-2018, 11:16 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2018, 11:11 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  4. J D 185 dies after about 30 min of run time.
    By BNG in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •