Repairs Stripped out axle in simplicity 5212.5

bamajeff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks, I wonder if anybody here could help me get my old 5212.5 cutting again..2 weeks ago she just stopped pulling. I checked all the simple things and then I removed the transaxle and tore it down. It turns out that the left drive axle is stripped in the side gear of the differential. I actually think the gear is ok but the splines are just gone from the axle itself. I am having trouble finding that axle but hopefully somebody on here has one they would sell. Thanks in advance!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t know if this will be of help, but might be worth checking deeper into. First I’m guessing that the model number for your unit is 1691473. You should be able to find an ID tag on the side of the frame to verify. This is a parts manual for that unit. The two axle numbers are 774500 and 774499. You can check which one you need, as I never know when you say left side, if you are sitting on the seat or standing in front of the unit. Second, these parts are not available, but the same parts come up as Tecumseh axles, which are available. If your unit is a Tecumseh Peerless you might have found a replacement. A good reputable dealer or repair shop should be able to help you contact Tecumseh for measurements and other sizes.

http://www.thepowerportal.com/ipls/ipl.htm?md=1691473_IPLURL_LO.pdf&attachment=1

bamajeff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets! You are correct on the model # 1691473 and the transaxle is indeed a peerless 1326. My stripped axle is on the left side when sitting on the mower, so it's the 774499 axle. I see that I can get one for $93 and some change, which I will do if I can't find one close by, now that I have a part #. Thanks again!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check with your local repair shop, their distributor should be able to get you one. They can also help you make sure it is the correct length.