John Deere D110 deck belt tension.

bamboozer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower is about 4 years old, developed a problem with the belt so I replaced and adjusted it. Even at maximum adjustment the belt is too loose. All pulleys and springs are in good shape, there is nothing visibly wrong and the deck itself is in very good shape. Any ideas? Manual is of no help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you still have the old belt ?
If so is the new belt the same length ?
V belts do not stretch & get longer then wear thin & sit deeper in the pulleys so go slack.

So measure the belts, there was 2 different decks fitted to the 110 ( from memory cause I am too lazy to check ).

Also have a real close look at the pulleys, they also wear the V out wide.
If the root of the V anywhere is shinny then the pulley is worn out & needs to be replaced.
Also check the hole in the tension pulley arm.
It floggs out oval and thus reduces the tension in the belt.

bamboozer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two good points. Old belt was pretty much the same length, replacement was what JD recommended. Once again everything looks good, but will check the two areas you suggested.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check the PTO lever under the dash.
The lever you move works a short arm which pulls the cable.
The short arm is held onto the lever by a bolt that also works loose so the cable does not get pulled as far as it should.
If you replace it you must use a grade 9 bolt & I fit 2 lock nuts or in US parlance a nut & jamb nut.

bamboozer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cable is taught, bolt is solid, both in good shape and not loose.

Allen5691

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the exact same issue. Did you ever find the cause? Belt to loose.

Ericg1313

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2013 D110. I tightened the deck belt all the way and it was still loose. I could turn the blades by hand easily with the PTO engaged, and the pulley would spin on the belt. My guess is the PTO cable was stretched because it’s 10 years old. With Not having extra money to buy another cable/spring, I flipped the tensioning bracket that holds the cable to the deck. You have to take one of the 10mm bolts all the way out and loosen the other. Hope this helps.