STIHL MS170 Great Entry level Saw

kblackmer100

Threads
I really enjoy using my entry level saw from STIHL, strong enough to do light to medium work. Plus using the STIHL 2 in 1 chain sharpener makes it easy to use in the field.

not bad for $200 bucks, plus the woodcutter kit really saved my face this week. first use and the shield protected my face from a wood chunk its in the video around the 10 min mark.

What entry level chainsaw do you have that you like a lot?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry but you have some very scary bad habits with your saw. I suggest that you get some training by a qualified operator before you maim or kill yourself...

kblackmer100

Threads
Sorry but you have some very scary bad habits with your saw. I suggest that you get some training by a qualified operator before you maim or kill yourself...

sure i have a lot to learn just like the next guy, I never said I was a pro lol

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's not a "lol" matter. You cut with the top side tip of your bar in a dangerous manner, cut your notch way too deep on one tree dropping it in the wrong directlion and passed under the large tree as it was falling. Really, please learn how to perform tree work properly and safely before you hurt yourself. You seem like a good guy who means well and I'm not meaning to degrade you, but you really don't know what you're doing.

For the record I'm not a tree professional but did work as a groundsman for a tree service in the 90s for a year and was trained in the safe use of a chainsaw by my arborist boss. I'm concerned for your safety...

Edit:. These guys are tree professionals and have some excellent instructional videos. Some of their methods are different from those that are conventional in the USA. https://youtu.be/u20DSLQ_8zU

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Threads
Think I'd take that video down. Way too many bad things going on on it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know what an 'entry level' saw is. I only have 'big' and 'little' ones.

I wouldn't dare post a video of myself using them. I've owned chainsaws for at least 50 years and have never drawn blood but it was not because I don't have bad habits. Back when I acquired my bad habits, there were no youtube videos explaining how to do things right. Now, there are many things I used to do without giving it a second thought that I won't do today for love nor money.

But there are also things I see being done today that are things I wouldn't consider doing back then. Such as plunge cuts. A new (for me) way of felling a tree is to cut the hinge, then plunge cut all the way through the tree, then work toward the side opposite the hinge.

I haven't had the need to fell any trees lately to try it but that plunge cut still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Only thing I've ever found of value on You-Tube video's is the horrible music people put with their video's. Makes me want to turn them off. People think they are movie stars... They aren't.:laughing:

kblackmer100

Threads
yeah definitely the music on some videos gets on my nerves too but then again you can't have music that can be enjoyed by every single person that's watching the video that's just how it is if there's a video I like but I don't care for the music I just turn the sound off I don't cry about it LOL most the time I'll turn the video off if I can't understand what the person is saying or if I just don't like the video I don't give it too much of a thought lol.

a beginner saw is basically the lowest level brand makes of a saw if it is geared towards a homeowner that would be considered an entry-level saw but there are also entry-level saws at the pro level as well.

some people don't like the video then really bother me at all that's just how videos are some people like stuff some people don't like stuff.

I'm definitely not a pro and I don't claim to be I'm probably a little better than a total beginner because a total beginner doesn't know a single thing doesn't even know how to turn on the chainsaw doesn't even know how to put fuel in it Etc. I am learning and I do expect to learn from people who are better than me who are willing to let me know a few things here and there because I want to get better at learning about chainsaws and to get better at using chainsaws and of course the only way to do that is to get out there and do what you have been learning from people who know how to do it. I've been using chainsaws for several years never had any issues never cut myself never damaged anything always got the job done so there's more than one way to do anything there's a right way for sure and a wrong way for sure and then there are multiple ways to get the job done kind of just depends where you're at in your experience and how you choose to do things.

I for myself definitely want to learn all of the right ways as possible because I would like to grow my Channel with a playlist about chainsaws history of different brands the ability and functionality of different model chainsaws in action tune-up on chainsaws maintenance how to select different types of chainsaws for the job and so on.

so I definitely welcome all comments it's okay if I have bad habits if you don't mind Point them out to me and I will be sure to work on those so that way my video is going forward will be a lot better to the viewer it will be showing the viewer a safer way to use a chainsaw.

I appreciate everybody watching and commenting we will chat with you soon

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi again. I'm going to make some detailed comments relating to things I think you do/did "wrong" or in an unsafe manner when I get a chance, but here's what I consider to be the biggest and most dangerous "mistake" you made. You walked under the bigger tree with your back to it after you made your final cut and then placed yourself in the possible path of it as it fell. Your escape path should be 45 degrees away from the direction of fall. I would have done the final cut with the top of the bar giving a clear escape path from it at 45 degrees.

Here are some screen shots showing what I'm talking about. Unfortunately they'll expire and be unavailable at some point in the future.

http://puu.sh/Bx1Mn.jpg
http://puu.sh/Bx22a.jpg

Last edited:

deminin

Threads
This guy is an "accident waiting to happen". I cut several dead trees per year to feed my outdoor wood furnace in the Winter, and if I was as careless as he is, I'd be long gone by now.