Carburetor low/high idle problem

KyGolfer

Threads
I have a Command Pro 27 Kohler engine with a Niki carburetor. The thing sticks in low idle for a minute or 2, before kicking into high idle. I have taken carburetor apart twice and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner. I have really hit the jets hard with it. Still have same problem. I am thinking of just replacing the carburetor and calling it a fix. Question : Do I have to replace it with one that has all the same type numbers? Can they vary on the last set of 2? Also, while mowing, the engine almost seems like it wants to stop, but then kicks in agsin. Only does this once in a 2 to 3 hour mowing period. Is the carburetor the same issue going on here? Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:

steha1

Threads
I've got the same engine on my exmark and have been having problems with it. It would run fine and then the RPMs would drop drastically...sometimes only for a brief period and sometimes for a minute or longer. Long story short, it turned out to be the crappy DSAI system they used instead of normal coils. You can't even find replacement coils and the fix was to install new coils and associated wiring covered in a bulletin put out by Kohler. If you call them with your model number, they'll be happy to sell you the fix. There's a great video on YouTube for the installation as well. Let me know if you want a link.

KyGolfer

Threads
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a possibility. I will check coils. I think that if Kolher knew this was a problem, recommend it be changed to a different system, and charge us for the parts too, that this is a load of crap. Watched a video on this. Looks like a pain in ***** to do. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

steha1

Threads
https://youtu.be/3vGPxw4Dc0Q
This video was done on an engine just like mine and is an awesome step by step for the job. You can just skip all of the play acting if you want (although this guy is quite a character) and get right to the procedure. I was able to do the job in about 4 hours but could probably cut that time in half now that I've done it once. You may already know this and I found out the hard way (don't mess with the governor) but, when the RPMs drop, hop off and pull a spark plug wire. If the sound of the engine stays the same or motor quits, you're probably dropping a cylinder and the coil is the problem.

KyGolfer

Threads
So, am I getting this right? When I first start mower and it takes a minute or 2 to kick into high idle, it could be the coils? Or , is it still the carburetor? I'm thinking my other issue of mower almost shutting down after mowing for awhile, is probably the coil issue. Could the coils be causing both problems, or have I got 2 different problems going on. Thanks everyone! I reall appreciate all this input. P.S. Watched videos with Taryl . He's goofy, but he does know his mowers!

steha1

Threads
Well, I'm far from an expert but I would guess coil. If it tells you anything, I fought my mower for over a month because I messed with the governor/carburetor instead of determining the actual problem before I fooled with anything else. As a result, I fixed it until it was broke. After I replaced the coils it was bogging down while mowing thick grass because I put a $40 after market carb on it. Once I cleaned the original carb and reinstalled it, the problem was solved. I'd go with the coils. Your problem sounds almost identical to the problem I was having.

KyGolfer

Threads
UREKA ! Thank You Steha1 ! I finally caught the mower while in "low idle mode" and disconnected a spark plug wire. Mower died. So now I'm positive it's the coils. You saved me from buying a new carburetor, since I was thinking that was the problem. I would of really kicked myself in the ***** for replacing the carburetor and still had the problem. When mowing season is almost done, I will change out the coils. Would love to buy you a couple beers for your input. I really owe you. Thank you so much again. People on this site are the best!

steha1

Threads
Man, it really makes my day to read this. I sure had a battle with mine and wish I had checked this site sooner. The coil job isn't too hard if you follow Taryl's video that I linked earlier. Good luck!