Hello, I'm new here

garyis2me

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a cub cadet GX1554 mower, the engine runs great but with you engage the mower blades the belt comes off. The belt from the deck to the engine/power take off, is going up hill, what keeps in from riding off the engine pulley? Any help appreciated>
Thanks and glad I found this forum.
Gary

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Usually there's a spring-loaded idler pulley that puts tension on the belt to keep it on. Engaging the blades can create a shock load causing a belt to hop off. One of my mowers likes to throw the deck belt if I have the engine speed too low. Engaging near full throttle keeps mine from tossing the belt.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi Gary. Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Cub Cadet section.

christophert

Threads
I bought a cub cadet GX1554 mower, the engine runs great but with you engage the mower blades the belt comes off. The belt from the deck to the engine/power take off, is going up hill, what keeps in from riding off the engine pulley? Any help appreciated>
Thanks and glad I found this forum.
Gary

Check the tension of the spring on the idler pulley as well as the bearings. If the spring is weak and/or the bearings have some slack in them when you activate the blades it will throw thebelt. I have an older MTD that does this but it is because the deck is just wore out. Welcome to the forum!

Mower King

Threads
You might check this along with the other advice, on the deck, there are some idler pulleys that have a guide that is tightened down when the pulley is tightened down. Sometimes this guide will get moved around and not be in the correct spot to help keep the belt on.