2 acres and a $5,000 budget for a new ZTR....looking for some wisdom

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 2 acres and a $5,000 budget for a new ZTR....looking for some wisdom
I know there are not enough of these requests but perhaps I'll put in a little information in this thread to make it more interesting.
Currently have a JD345 (54 inch deck) that I use to cut almost 2 acres with just a small hill toward the rear of the property so terrain is not really a factor.
Like everyone else, I want to cut quicker and better. Right now it probably takes close to 1.5 hours and quite sure I can cut that down with a faster ZTR mower. I talked the wife into a budget of 5G max with the understanding this might last till I'm 60+ (43 right now). So, having difficulty deciding if I want a very nice residential mower or a cheaper commercial mower. I am not even sure if I should be concerned with buying a commercial mower as I am not mowing 6 days a week with it.
So far, only talked to a Salesman at Weingartz about a couple different models. Seemed to be high on the Exmark Quest S Series. I know I see many crews using that brand around my area. The 60 would be ~4800 out the door. Haven't researched their self-made engines to this point. I know it seemed incredibly easy to change the oil.
While he was looking up the price for a bagger, I found a Cub Cadet ZF L60 which would be about $4100. The reviews seemed pretty damn good.
Then I found the Hustler Raptor SD60 today and that seemed like it would work as well. Looked like there was some suspension mods i can make as well. Yard can get a bit bumpy in areas.
And in addition, been looking now at the Ariens IKON models and the JD535's as well. The Gravely's and Scags....those don't have bad reviews either. So many choices.
That said, I know there are some important factors to look at however. Seems like transmissions are talked about most. Read that some have hanging decks and some have fixed decks. My JD has what I think is a hanging deck? I assume that would keep the ride smoother if that has some room to wiggle around?
Some decks can be detached quicker than others which would be nice. Not exactly easy to get to the blades on my JD

So, guess I'm asking if you had 5G burning a hole in your pocket and needed a new ZTR, what would you buy?
Thanks!

I'm not sure if you've bought anything yet, but a small 9N tractor, with a shreader/brushhog. And then a normal size rider for the close to the house. If you wanted to, you could use the tractor for other stuff, like maybe a garden. Not to mention the fact that you can pick up a good 9N (or something like it) for about $2,000.

denk

Threads
I'm not sure if you've bought anything yet, but a small 9N tractor, with a shreader/brushhog. And then a normal size rider for the close to the house. If you wanted to, you could use the tractor for other stuff, like maybe a garden. Not to mention the fact that you can pick up a good 9N (or something like it) for about $2,000.

but that would be more than the professional landscaper has. you can't do that, can you?

gotomow

Threads
My brother in law has been using the Cub Cadet Z-Force L 48" all summer and loves it. He came from a older JD 425 54" and cuts just over 1 3/4 acres. Like you he does have some areas that are bumpy and he's had to slow down over those, but 2 weeks ago we have been filling and leveling in the worst of the bumpy spots. Last week we seeded and the new grass seed is just coming up. My advise would be to buy a 54" or less ZTR residential mower and use the left over money to level out your bumpy areas. Not only will you cut faster, it will save you and your mower in the long run to make improvements to your property.