2 acres and a $5,000 budget for a new ZTR....looking for some wisdom

denk

Threads
  • / 2 acres and a $5,000 budget for a new ZTR....looking for some wisdom
I stand by my comments and I never said anything about a "typical" residential property in my initial comments regarding deck size. My comments were made in light of the OP's particular situation. Residential properties, regardless of their total size, tend to have features which in my opinion make it clumsy to mow them with 60 inch mowers. I've got 18 years of experience mowing residential properties including my own 34 acres. Personally I'd rather zip around on a 52 inch mower than try to tiptoe around on a 60 incher. Bigger isn't always better! I think I'm allowed that opinion without being trolled about it. A 52 or 54 inch deck is plenty big for mowing 2 acres and has many benefits over a larger deck.
:thumbdown:

trolled?

ok. you have hijacked this discussion and tried to make it about you. it is NOT about you. but you won't stop making it about YOU.

look at the title: 2 acres, $5k budget, ZTR, wisdom. if he wanted you to cut his lawn, he'd hire you. i gave a response & you haven't stopped making it about YOU. the OP hasn't even responded during this melee.

and i said that i wasn't trying to start a mower war, but it has.

TSC sells this model for ~ $5k, which fits the bill. it is heavy duty. it looks good, but i have never driven one. the TSC reviews for it are mostly good, but some are bad; this is about par.

https://www.badboymowers.com/bad-boy-shop/zero-turn-mowers/zt-elite-lawn-mower

i'm done.

denk

Threads
I stand by my comments and I never said anything about a "typical" residential property in my initial comments regarding deck size. My comments were made in light of the OP's particular situation. Residential properties, regardless of their total size, tend to have features which in my opinion make it clumsy to mow them with 60 inch mowers. I've got 18 years of experience mowing residential properties including my own 34 acres. Personally I'd rather zip around on a 52 inch mower than try to tiptoe around on a 60 incher. Bigger isn't always better! I think I'm allowed that opinion without being trolled about it. A 52 or 54 inch deck is plenty big for mowing 2 acres and has many benefits over a larger deck.

so you aren't talking about 'typical', but you continue to describe 'typical'?

denk

Threads
I agree with Darryl. You don't need a 60 inch mower for two acres.

this is not about YOU either. i simply responded to the OP & you can't stand it. grow up.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
this is not about YOU either. i simply responded to the OP & you can't stand it. grow up.

Since you're not the OP, this thread isn't about YOU either. If you can't stand somebody offering a different opinion that doesn't agree with yours, I suggest you take all of your vast mower knowledge and don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post Deleted. Not worth it...

Last edited:

RajunCajun

Threads
not trying to get into a 'mower wars' contest here, but i did drive a ferris before upgrading to a hustler super Z. the handling of the hustler Z & SZ are superb. i can make both dance. i like grasshopper, but they cost too much for me. the ferris drove much like a tank and it was very expensive.

durability, ruggedness, and support (if you need it) are of utmost importance in buying most anything. but you want a 'best of breed' product, which means this one (best of breed) might not ever require any service!

i believe that hustler and grasshopper are best of breed. there are others, but i haven't tried them. the bad boy seems to have the ruggedness in construction. many of the components in the mowers - wheel motors & pumps are made by competitors or even the same company.

and he did say $5k, not $6k. so the ferris is out unless you will sell it for $5k. also the ferris is ONLY 48". the bad boy is 60". huge difference!

Sorry denk,
It’s not $6k. It’s not EVEN $5k. $4350 shipped no tax. Huge deal. (BRUNOs , link below)
At the dealers, $4699 minus what you talk them down. 2 acres is not that large.
Ferris 400S 48” model is only 753lbs. Not a tank. Do your homework before you start
slinging prices out there, Carnac. (Plenty Hustler reviews I read, bolts falling off...Hydrostatic
brackets bending)

FERRIS, SNAPPER PRO, SIMPLICITY are all Briggs companies.

https://www.brunospowersports.com/i...=+3477335&sfc=0&ssc=0&scc=0&sps=0&lo=2&snai=0

0ED7F2EE-C358-4BEE-9337-9219B98F7E02.pngFC6F6915-46A0-4BEB-BF88-634854CFCDDE.png
Some Dealers put them on sale too. $4299+ tax.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I strongly recommend buying power equipment from servicing dealers rather than online or a big box stores. Dealer support is way more important than saving money on the initial purchase IMO.

denk

Threads
Sorry denk,
It’s not $6k. It’s not EVEN $5k. $4350 shipped no tax. Huge deal. (BRUNOs , link below)
At the dealers, $4699 minus what you talk them down. 2 acres is not that large.
Ferris 400S 48” model is only 753lbs. Not a tank. Do your homework before you start
slinging prices out there, Carnac. (Plenty Hustler reviews I read, bolts falling off...Hydrostatic
brackets bending)

FERRIS, SNAPPER PRO, SIMPLICITY are all Briggs companies.

https://www.brunospowersports.com/i...=+3477335&sfc=0&ssc=0&scc=0&sps=0&lo=2&snai=0

View attachment 40567View attachment 40568
Some Dealers put them on sale too. $4299+ tax.

see post # 8 on this thread pal. perhaps you should read before posting. i would never buy a ferris. they are junk basically. reputable dealers don't sell them.

"FERRIS Z1, brand new they are about 6k, Stand on mower is better for the back this mower has a super cushin spring platform, zero turn mowers are good but the key is high back seat and suspension, FERRIS has a F60Z for about 5k or give or take, no springs but not back to ride."