2 acres and a $5,000 budget for a new ZTR....looking for some wisdom

paul95se

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2 acres and a $5,000 budget for a new ZTR....looking for some wisdom
I know there are not enough of these requests but perhaps I'll put in a little information in this thread to make it more interesting.
Currently have a JD345 (54 inch deck) that I use to cut almost 2 acres with just a small hill toward the rear of the property so terrain is not really a factor.
Like everyone else, I want to cut quicker and better. Right now it probably takes close to 1.5 hours and quite sure I can cut that down with a faster ZTR mower. I talked the wife into a budget of 5G max with the understanding this might last till I'm 60+ (43 right now). So, having difficulty deciding if I want a very nice residential mower or a cheaper commercial mower. I am not even sure if I should be concerned with buying a commercial mower as I am not mowing 6 days a week with it.
So far, only talked to a Salesman at Weingartz about a couple different models. Seemed to be high on the Exmark Quest S Series. I know I see many crews using that brand around my area. The 60 would be ~4800 out the door. Haven't researched their self-made engines to this point. I know it seemed incredibly easy to change the oil.
While he was looking up the price for a bagger, I found a Cub Cadet ZF L60 which would be about $4100. The reviews seemed pretty damn good.
Then I found the Hustler Raptor SD60 today and that seemed like it would work as well. Looked like there was some suspension mods i can make as well. Yard can get a bit bumpy in areas.
And in addition, been looking now at the Ariens IKON models and the JD535's as well. The Gravely's and Scags....those don't have bad reviews either. So many choices.
That said, I know there are some important factors to look at however. Seems like transmissions are talked about most. Read that some have hanging decks and some have fixed decks. My JD has what I think is a hanging deck? I assume that would keep the ride smoother if that has some room to wiggle around?
Some decks can be detached quicker than others which would be nice. Not exactly easy to get to the blades on my JD

So, guess I'm asking if you had 5G burning a hole in your pocket and needed a new ZTR, what would you buy?
Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exmark makes great machines but they tend to be expensive for what you get. I have 2 of their commercial units and have had an excellent experience with them.Their self-branded engines are made in China by Loncin but so far they appear to be good engines. Cut quality tends to be excellent and they hold their value well.

I'd add the Bob-Cat CRZ to your list too https://www.bobcatturf.com/products/crz/

Spartan is a relatively new brand that I'd check out if you have a nearby dealer. Some great features and price point. And they look way cool!

There are a lot of Raptor owners on this forum and a search will pull up several threads. They seem to have quite a few issues to me but maybe it's because there are a lot of them in service. You'll also find a lot of Gravely owners and threads here too. Seems to be a lot of issues with belts breaking and getting tossed on those.

Happy shopping to you!

John Fitzgerald

Threads
If you could raise the budget just a little you could get a Hustler Fastrak or Big Dog Stout (same mower). It's a good upgrade from the Raptor SD.

paul95se

Forum Newbie
Threads
Exmark makes great machines but they tend to be expensive for what you get. I have 2 of their commercial units and have had an excellent experience with them.Their self-branded engines are made in China by Loncin but so far they appear to be good engines. Cut quality tends to be excellent and they hold their value well.

I'd add the Bob-Cat CRZ to your list too

Spartan is a relatively new brand that I'd check out if you have a nearby dealer. Some great features and price point. And they look way cool!

There are a lot of Raptor owners on this forum and a search will pull up several threads. They seem to have quite a few issues to me but maybe it's because there are a lot of them in service. You'll also find a lot of Gravely owners and threads here too. Seems to be a lot of issues with belts breaking and getting tossed on those.

Happy shopping to you!

Thanks.
Yes, the cut quality is important. Not happy with how my JD is cutting now and prior to having a home with 2 acres, my grass looked like a golf course. Now I get the weeds treated but am at the mercy of the rain gods. The grass would look pretty damn good if I can get a nice mower.

SidecarFlip

Threads
If I had 5K in my pocket, I'd invest it and hire a lawn care service and dispense with the mowing all together. My buddy gets his lawn mowed and trimmed every week for 40 bucks. Let someone else maintain a machine, put gas in it and do the work.

paul95se

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I had 5K in my pocket, I'd invest it and hire a lawn care service and dispense with the mowing all together. My buddy gets his lawn mowed and trimmed every week for 40 bucks. Let someone else maintain a machine, put gas in it and do the work.

:laughing::laughing:

kblackmer100

Threads
FERRIS Z1, brand new they are about 6k, Stand on mower is better for the back this mower has a super cushin spring platform, zero turn mowers are good but the key is high back seat and suspension, FERRIS has a F60Z for about 5k or give or take, no springs but not back to ride.

denk

Threads
i have never used one & can't attest to the cut, but it seems the bad boy sold in the TSC stores is right in your price range. it has a 60" cut that will get the job done quickly. the deck is very strong and it appears to be very heavy duty. this is a good quality in mowers.

maybe you could rent one somewhere for a while & buy one if you like it?

RajunCajun

Threads
87B0C676-E13E-4D02-9A57-7D1327EF2D71.jpeg
FERRIS 400S Model 5901705 Kawasaki
Available with either a Briggs & Stratton® Commercial Series or Kawasaki® FR series engine, Equipped with a 10-gauge 48″ mowing deck, large coil-over independent progressive rate shocks, dual Hydro-gear® ZT-2800® transaxles, Compatible attachments like a bagging system or a tow/hitch kit.