Weird noise when first starting briggs engine on Murray moweer

wilburn cox

Threads
  • / Weird noise when first starting briggs engine on Murray moweer
I have a Murray rider model 425014X92B with Briggs 15.5 HP engine model 282H07 built in 2005. I have noticed for about 3 months that when I first engage the starter there is a weird noise. sort of screeching sound. Once it starts the noise ceases and the engine runs fine.
Yesterday I adjusted the valves, cleaned the engine and changed the oil. I know this has nothing to do with the weird noise on start up but it was time to do this service.
Before replacing the top engine cover I checked to see if any flywheel part was contacting any metal around the engine and could find nothing which could cause the sound. The engine runs smooth and quiet from idle to full throttle. the sound is ONLY when starter is first engaged. Once the engine starts the noise is gone.
Hope someone might have a suggestion. I love the Lawn World Forum and the help that everyone seems willing to offer. I will appreciate any assistance and hope everyone is having a great day.
Wilburn "Red" Cox

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would "pull" the starter and check it off the engine, sounds like you may have a bushing in there trying to go on permanent "vacation" ..

wilburn cox

Threads
I would "pull" the starter and check it off the engine, sounds like you may have a bushing in there trying to go on permanent "vacation" ..
Thanks, Boobala for the quick response. I would have no problem removing the starter but not sure how I would check it out when off the motor. How to hold it stationary and etc. I have a local starter repair here in Stephenville Tx which I have used in the past. I could take it to them and spend $$$. If you know how I could test it myself I would appreciate it. Have a great day.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The starter on my Exmark Turf Tracer made weird noises for about 15 years. I finally replaced it this spring after thousands of starts from when it first started making noise...

wilburn cox

Threads
The starter on my Exmark Turf Tracer made weird noises for about 15 years. I finally replaced it this spring after thousands of starts from when it first started making noise...
Thanks Darryl G. I don't think the noise is a great problem as the motor tuns fine after starting. The noise just bothers me if you know what I mean. Have a great day and thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The starter gear on some is replacable .
A drop of a dry lubricant on the spiral does not go astray.

wilburn cox

Threads
The starter gear on some is replacable .
A drop of a dry lubricant on the spiral does not go astray.
Thanks mertsmobile; I'll try the dry lubricant and see what it will do. Again thanks for your response."Red"

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks, Boobala for the quick response. I would have no problem removing the starter but not sure how I would check it out when off the motor. How to hold it stationary and etc. I have a local starter repair here in Stephenville Tx which I have used in the past. I could take it to them and spend $$$. If you know how I could test it myself I would appreciate it. Have a great day.

Remove the starter from mower, use jumper cables & a GOOD battery, connect the NEGATIVE cable ( BLACK) to the NEGATIVE battery post, connect the other end to a metal BRACKET on the starter, connect the POSITIVE cable ( RED) to the big input terminal on the starter, with 1 hand holding the starter down on work-bench or ground, use your other hand to "touch" the POSITIVE battery terminal, ( keep fingers and objects away from gear end of starter ) starter should spin ..
do NOT operate starter for more than a brief period, if the starter is squealing and needs rebuilt,.. we have the manuals for that.....