"Break In Period"?

SJP

Threads
I just purchased a new Husky 580 BTS blower (will be here tomorrow) and was wondering if you guys do a "break in period" with new equipment? If you do, do you use a conventional 2 stroke for the first couple of gallons and then either a semi-synthetic or a full synthetic? I have the Echo PB 770T, which I've had for 5 years and I can't for the life of me remember doing a break in period and I've been using the Echo Red Armor oil.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not important anymore. I have an Echo trimmer from ~1994 that is still going strong and I don't remember doing any kind of break-in on it. It's never had any synthetic 2-cycle oil, either, so I'm not sure how much longer I could expect this thing to run had I spent the extra money for synthetic oil.

Follow your manual. If it has break-in instructions, do what it says.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I recall they recommend that you vary the rpms at first. I've had a 580 since they first came out and have the new more powerful Echo PB 1080 on order.

I didn't like how the handle is mounted on my 580- low and on the side of the tube - so mounted it up top instead. It's just a matter of moving things around. I also didn't feel that it scoured stuck material very well so bought an extra intermediate tube for scouring and blowing out drainage ditches, etc. I tried the high velocity nozzle but found that it was too hard to hold the tube with it on.

SJP

Threads
If I recall they recommend that you vary the rpms at first. I've had a 580 since they first came out and have the new more powerful Echo PB 1080 on order.

I didn't like how the handle is mounted on my 580- low and on the side of the tube - so mounted it up top instead. It's just a matter of moving things around. I also didn't feel that it scoured stuck material very well so bought an extra intermediate tube for scouring and blowing out drainage ditches, etc. I tried the high velocity nozzle but found that it was too hard to hold the tube with it on.

Yeah I saw something about not running it wide open for extended period of time at first. So are they saying maybe the first tank of fuel used up you can run it wide open all day if you want to? I know Husqvarna is covering their selves but reading thru the help section on their website, some of the stuff makes me scratch my head.

I also read on the help section about the break in period and they suggest 6-10 tanks of fuel and then have a dealer adjust the carb.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd be more worried about the crappy recoil, the habit of engine bolts loosening/shearing off, the carb that can't readily be rebuilt and the throttle cable that stretches to the point you can't get full throttle without bending the bracket.

Granted I've run my unit a lot but I've replaced the carb, the strap/harness system, the recoil, the handle assembly and done a full engine rebuild on my unit. I could have bought a new unit for what it has cost me to keep mine running up to par.

I'm sure you will like the power and comfort of it. It definitely moves leaves better than the Echo 770 and the harness system is excellent, but it's expensive to replace.

SJP

Threads
I'd be more worried about the crappy recoil, the habit of engine bolts loosening/shearing off, the carb that can't readily be rebuilt and the throttle cable that stretches to the point you can't get full throttle without bending the bracket.

Granted I've run my unit a lot but I've replaced the carb, the strap/harness system, the recoil, the handle assembly and done a full engine rebuild on my unit. I could have bought a new unit for what it has cost me to keep mine running up to par.

I'm sure you will like the power and comfort of it. It definitely moves leaves better than the Echo 770 and the harness system is excellent, but it's expensive to replace.

WOW you have me a little worried about buying this blower. I know this blower has been out for a number a years but everything I have read and the videos I have watched on it, everybody seems to think it a solid backpack blower. I don't mow for living so maybe I want go thru those problems, at least I hope not.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine bolts are or at least were a well known and reported problem. You probably won't wear out the straps the way I did. I do use mine professionally. Mine blew oil into the airbox, accumulating at the elbow, from day one and worsened with use. Maybe I got spoiled with my old Shindaiwa EB-630 units. I never had to rebuild or replace anything except the shoulder straps.