Lawn Tractor Drive Belt Confusion

LarryJohnson

Threads
Me mower stopped like a mule in it's tracks halfway through cutting the front lawn. Figured it was the (rear) primary drive belt, but it's in tact. The longer, secondary belt (49) is broke. From the diagram it looks like this belt doesn't have anything to do with making the mower move forward in its tracks. I did pull a hefty load with the mower not long ago. What else should I be looking for to determine why it won't move forwards or backwards. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 8.59.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 8.59.47 PM.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 15

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Me mower stopped like a mule in it's tracks halfway through cutting the front lawn. Figured it was the (rear) primary drive belt, but it's in tact. The longer, secondary belt (49) is broke. From the diagram it looks like this belt doesn't have anything to do with making the mower move forward in its tracks. I did pull a hefty load with the mower not long ago. What else should I be looking for to determine why it won't move forwards or backwards. Thanks.

Let me think...
The mower was mowing good...
It suddenly stopped like a mule in it's tracks
You think this certain belt is broken, but it is not
You find another belt broken...

Hummm...what could the problem be?????

May be I will just replace the broken belt and see if that fixes my mower....

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
One belt goes from the engine pulley to the variable speed pulley and the second belt goes from the variable pulley to the pulley on the transmission. they work together to change the speed similar to a hydrostatic transmission, They also need to be changed in pairs because trying to run one new belt with one old belt throws the system out of balance and could cause speed and drive problems.

LarryJohnson

Threads
One belt goes from the engine pulley to the variable speed pulley and the second belt goes from the variable pulley to the pulley on the transmission. they work together to change the speed similar to a hydrostatic transmission, They also need to be changed in pairs because trying to run one new belt with one old belt throws the system out of balance and could cause speed and drive problems.

Thanks. I figured it would make sense to change them both to save work down the road, but Jack's Small engine doesn't list a part for the rear belt, or so I thought. Looks like you get both belts when you buy the "Primary Drive Belt". Placing my order.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you order the belts, check the pulleys # 45 for wear or damage.
The flanges wear razor sharp over time and damage the belt when the brake is on & the belt is slack.

LarryJohnson

Threads
Before you order the belts, check the pulleys # 45 for wear or damage.
The flanges wear razor sharp over time and damage the belt when the brake is on & the belt is slack.

Too late. Busy preparing for the hurricane. Turns out, Jack's didn't have the shorter drive belt listed on their site. Had to call them, and they had to order it. The replacement for the longer drive belt that broke has already shipped. Might get a chance to check the ulleys this weekend. Maybe a local store has them.

LarryJohnson

Threads
Let me think...
The mower was mowing good...
It suddenly stopped like a mule in it's tracks
You think this certain belt is broken, but it is not
You find another belt broken...

Hummm...what could the problem be?????

May be I will just replace the broken belt and see if that fixes my mower....

not me.

LarryJohnson

Threads

Too late. Busy preparing for the hurricane. Turns out, Jack's didn't have the shorter drive belt listed on their site. Had to call them, and they had to order it. The replacement for the longer drive belt that broke has already shipped. Might get a chance to check the ulleys this weekend. Maybe a local store has them.

Well it was a royal bitch, but I managed to get both belts changed. They better last 20 years! The #45 pulleys looked good; no sharp edges.

With the new OEM belts I noticed that when I lift off the gas, the mower comes to a complete stop immediately. It doesn't roll even a small distance. I doubt the brakes are dragging because they didn't work well before changing belts. Should the gas pedal or something be adjusted so that it doesn't stop so suddenly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you survivied the weather.
It is always a worry when some one says they are preparring for a hurricane.

What you have noticed is correct when you fit new belts particularly if you have lubed all of the pivot points