2001 MTD YardMachines hydrostat stopped

z28derick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. So I've got a 2001 MTD YardMachines model number MTD 13AN690G352 with a hydrostatic tranny. For a few weeks I'd noticed a kind of rattle under the seat not related to the motor, and the drive lever would be initially "somewhat" difficult to move, more tension than usual. This evening when I was mowing about half way through the rattle "like something was loose" started to get louder, then the mower just stopped moving. Still runs just doesn't go forward or back. I'm in a wheelchair so what I'm going to be able to investigate is going to be limited when it comes to the tranny but does this sound like anything specific? It wasn't a grinding or whining, but more of a rattle like a jar of coins sort of. It it possible the drive belt maybe just fell off? The drive lever on the side has almost no resistance now. I let it cool down to see if it would move but it wouldn't. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Edit: To add to this, it would make the rattle noise regardless if it was moving or sitting still. I'm just wondering if it's something with the linkage that maybe "hopefully" came loose.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am suspecting a damaged belt with pieces missing from the V side of the belt, that has now broke. Also issues with the idler pulleys associated with the belt could also be having issues. The belt in question will be tucked up inside the frame and you will need to look up inside the frame to inspect.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Ever check or change the tranny oil?

z28derick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am suspecting a damaged belt with pieces missing from the V side of the belt, that has now broke. Also issues with the idler pulleys associated with the belt could also be having issues. The belt in question will be tucked up inside the frame and you will need to look up inside the frame to inspect.

Tonight when I get home I'm going to pop off the top cover in front of the seat and see if I can have a look. Those things are a lot easier and cheaper to fix than the tranny I'd assume. As for the tranny fluid, no. I have no idea where to change it or drain it. Thanks for the reply's.

z28derick

Forum Newbie
Threads
It was the drive belt! Snapped in two. It was in really rough condition lol. The Pulley on the left (Idler pulley?) seems very solid and rolls smooth. The pulley on the right (Fl-Idler Pulley?) is plastic and has a very tiny amount of wiggle. Got descriptions from Replacement parts website. Should I go ahead and replace the FI pulley if I can find out or is it supposed to have a tiny bit of wiggle since it's plastic? Thanks in advance! 20180912_172502.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
no play. If you change it now you will not have to change it later and it possibly takes out the new belt.

z28derick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll probably do that. The current one is plastic but it looks like all the replacements are metal. They are saying same part number for the flat idler pulley. Can someone explain the different between to two? Are they just two separate pulleys? Obviously lol but what does each do?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Normally but not for all a flat idler tensions a belt and a V idler make the belt go where you want the belt to go.