never need to change oil

SidecarFlip

Threads
What will be interesting is watching the end game on forums like this one when those new engines exceed their time in the sun and start failing and show up on forums like this with owners wanting to find out how to repair them.... Of course the answer will be...Buy a new one...lol

broo

Threads
I bought one in 2015. Didn't know about the "never change the oil" feature it had. I needed a mower after my old Lawn Boy disintegrated, it was late Fall and this was about the only model available.

After a bit over a year of use, I decided to change the oil anyway. It was thick, grey molasses. I now change the oil every year.

However, it's true that the engine will probably outlive the mower despite not changing the oil.

The deck is very light, but still made of steel, so it's thin and will probably rust out soon enough.

Lawn Addict
Threads
More reason for me to keep my 13 year old 22" MTD push-mow, with a "Made in USA" Briggs Flathead. That baby doesn't skip a beat.

Mower King

Threads
Briggs & Stratton and Kohler are both producing this engine......they said they feel most people don't change their oil anyway, just like they feel most people don't grease the zirks on mowers either........unfortunately both are true!

broo

Threads
Indeed, they are making disposable stuff for careless people.

"It's built cheaply but doesn't need any maintenance ! When it breaks I'll just buy a new one !"

For my part, I like keeping my stuff for a long time. I had a hard time finding the air filter for this mower. As if MTD didn't expect people to replace it. I had to resort to ebay to find some.

I plan on trying to beat the odds with this cheap mower and keep it way longer than the maker intended, provided I can still get parts to service it.