Why did old mower engines run for years with no oil filters?

(Account Closed)

Threads
  • / Why did old mower engines run for years with no oil filters?
I imagine splash lube engines run a lot 'dirtier' than oil pump engines- maybe something to do with air quality regs?

My old Snapper finally died after 45 years. Still had the original 8 hp aluminum Briggs on it. I've only owned it for 4 years, so I have no idea what kind of care it had previously. I have several old Cub Cadets, including two Originals. The 55 y/o cast iron Kohlers still run fine.

Splash lubed engines have been around for ever (mostly smaller engines) and are darn near bullet proof and very simple..

Longevity issues most likely are due to the maintenance or LACK OF.

Yes, an oil filter (of course) would help clean the oil but the oil still has to be changed occasionally.

Air filters need cleaning or replacement...

I've had two year old mowers come in, not running (carb issues usually) where the oil is BLACK, more grass caked up under the frame than you can imagine...

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I knew a guy once that claimed you did not need to change the oil in your car, just change the oil filter. He claimed oil did not wear out, just gets dirty. I said how's that working for you? Is the oil black. He said not it just gets kind of a light brown tint, but does not get black like you would think. He said that you are rplacing 1 quart of oil each time you change the filter. And the filter is cleaning what is left. He did not own new vehicles. They were usually high mileage stuff. Haven't talked to him for a few years so don't know how that is working for him.

I work with a guy who does that today. And he drives a late model car. I'd tell him that he'd be better off changing the oil and leaving the filter in, but I just keep it to myself. I've always figured that if the engine is grinding off particles that the oil filter will catch it's already junk.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Like my old boss that ran a Chrysler Pacifica 73K miles and never lifted the hood to check anything. 73K and it popped a rod. Bet the oil was pretty if there was any. I don't think he knew where the hood release even was....:laughing:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Getting off topic a bit but a local garage, couple guys who were the best mechanics around back in the 60s. Liked to drink some too. One of the guys rebuilt his 56 Olds in the evenings, welded the hood shut. Car ran for many years without being touched. Kind of amazing there.