What is the fastest killer of deck spindles?

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Jav

Never know what you may find laying in a field or other places. Had a neighbor wind 1/2 mile of the new neighbors temporary phone in the rotary cutter. Have cut bailing twine, bailing wire, pantyhose, underwear and dog chains and cables out from under customers mower lawn mower decks. I have a customer I think she would try to mow an anvil if it grew on her property.

I've had neighbors like that. Never picked up things.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
John, her yard is clean and well maintained, the problem is she likes to try to mower overgrown area outside of her yard and also try to mower around oil field pump jacks that have discarded things from the oil field laying in the weeds. Two years ago the oil field company had to replace her deck after hitting a discarded 4 inch high pressure valve. I have had to straighten the new deck 3 times and weld the deck hangars back on once so far this year.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jav

Never know what you may find laying in a field or other places. Had a neighbor wind 1/2 mile of the new neighbors temporary phone in the rotary cutter. Have cut bailing twine, bailing wire, pantyhose, underwear and dog chains and cables out from under customers mower lawn mower decks. I have a customer I think she would try to mow an anvil if it grew on her property.

Funny you should say panty hose.
One of the customers is always having her blades jambed up with panty hose, panties & the odd napkin.
I could never understand how the hell one woman could get all those panty hose in her yard.
It eventually came out that she liked to mow the verge behind her 6' pailing fence at the back of the property.
The other side of the road is a cutting which gives you a nice secluded view which makes it a popular parking spot for the local youths

SidecarFlip

Threads
Actually my friend the .45 APC is a rather slow round averaging about 950 fps, now the 7.5 FK Brnois considered the fastest at 2000 fps with a 103-gr., .30-cal. bullet.
Tom

Hate to break your bubble but my Smith and Wesson 460 XVR wheel gun shooting 230 grain Hornady 452 flex tips (factory) chrono's at 2700 fps muzzle and my 250 grain .452 Hornady XTP's in Starline brass with a load of Lil Gun chrono's at 2900 Fps muzzle, 2000 fps is SLOW. At 50 yards, I can drill a hole in 3/16" AR 500 plate with it. Not a pretty round hole, but a hole none the less.

Selluwud

Threads
Besides no maintenance..:thumbdown:

I think number one is the Cub Cadet 'Deck wash' system. Guaranteed to destroy a spindle or spindles quick. Second is mowing the yard and sucking a piece of poly baler twine. That poly twine destroys the grease seal pronto, melts from friction and then eats up the lower bearing no matter if it has grease or not...

Been there, did that on both counts.

Lets hear some good ones....

Cheap low gauge mowing deck that rust through allowing the belt tension to pull it over and throw the belt. Get out the welder.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Been there did that too with a cheapo MTD (More Tools Desired) riding mower with a tinfoil lasts 2 seasons deck. Glad my Cub has a fabricated steel deck, should last a while, has lasted 7 years now.

I grew up not far from the original MTD plant in Cleveland, Ohio, right off West 130th Street and Brookpark Road. MTD stands for Modern Tool and Die btw. I believe they are still there but I could be wrong. They have a huge facility in Mansfield, Ohio and a couple other ones scattered around the state.

Short run automotive stamping used to be their mainstay until they got into lawn care machines.

Pumper54

Threads
Hate to break your bubble but my Smith and Wesson 460 XVR wheel gun shooting 230 grain Hornady 452 flex tips (factory) chrono's at 2700 fps muzzle and my 250 grain .452 Hornady XTP's in Starline brass with a load of Lil Gun chrono's at 2900 Fps muzzle, 2000 fps is SLOW. At 50 yards, I can drill a hole in 3/16" AR 500 plate with it. Not a pretty round hole, but a hole none the less.

I was running with info that was several years old, I have been shooting for almost 50 and to be honest I don't think I would want to shoot either of those guns. ;-) I kinda like my wrists the way there are not.... not hurting too badly
Tom

SidecarFlip

Threads
Been hunting big game and shooting about that long as well, I'm almost 70. The 460 and 500 Smith's are very tame shooters, especially the 460 because it comes with a huge ported muzzle brake. I can actually fire it one handed and I'm not a big person. I cannot do that with my 44 mag, plus it weighs almost 8 pounds or about what my 308 hunting rifle weighs.

Having said that though, if I'm shooting at an animal (I use the 460 to hunt with, deer, moose and whatever comes my way), I hardly ever shoot it offhand. Usually with it's bi-pod on a suitable surface or propped against a tree trunk but that is how I shoot my rifles as well. I know of very few accomplished hunters that can accurately shoot a rifle at distance, offhand and hit anything, or a handgun. I use whatever is available, be it a truck hood, rock, a backpack or tree trunk.

Not really germane to this forum but worth noting.

mhavanti

Threads
SidecarFlip,

Why you gotta bring Germaine into this?

Max

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Guys when I said Ultra-Fast I wasn't meaning muzzle velocities.. I MEANT, faster than water intrusion or striking a solid object, anyway here's a sure-fire way to ruin your spindles life in a shorter amount of time.....

71hVT-+-6ML._SL1000_.jpg...62201_zzz_alt6_500_2.jpg

I know a lot of guys will argue "Sealed-Bearings" , well...let em believe that water can't get into those type bearings.