Engine Ryobi 28141 weed eater

rocky4

Threads
I have a Ryobi RY28141 weed whacker that will not start. The carb is good as I installed it on another, exact model Ryobi, which started right up. I do have a good spark. Fuel lines are new. I put some fuel in spark plug hole, but still no ignition. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
After you try to start it, pull the plug, is it wet? These little machines will get flooded with fuel and real hard to get cleaned out and started sometimes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the muffler off& have a good look at the single piston ring and the bore.
If there are railway lines in there it isn't going to start.

rocky4

Threads
Pull the muffler off& have a good look at the single piston ring and the bore.
If there are railway lines in there it isn't going to start.

Thanks for replying. What do you mean by "railway lines"? Is this line going up and down on piston?
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep.
Little bits of carbon fall off the exhaust port, and then the piston drags them up & down the bore making scratches that form gas leakage paths.
Running the engine with too much oil is the prime culprit.

rocky4

Threads
Yep.
Little bits of carbon fall off the exhaust port, and then the piston drags them up & down the bore making scratches that form gas leakage paths.
Running the engine with too much oil is the prime culprit.

Thanks very much. I will check that.Do you by any chance know how to remove the piston on this trimmer? Its a Robi,
RY 28141 model. The block is not in two parts as others, so the piston has to be removed through the bottom.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ryobi are a throw away brand.
I seldom fix anything Ryobi because 2 hours of my labour is generally more than the purchase price of the tool
Most Ryobi engines I have seen use an overhung crank with the starter forming the other 1/2 of the crank case
So you pull off the stater then undo the crankpin and pull the piston out through the crank case.

rocky4

Threads
Ryobi are a throw away brand.
I seldom fix anything Ryobi because 2 hours of my labour is generally more than the purchase price of the tool
Most Ryobi engines I have seen use an overhung crank with the starter forming the other 1/2 of the crank case
So you pull off the stater then undo the crankpin and pull the piston out through the crank case.
I understand you not repairing these money wise. I just repair for my use and I have the time to try and fix if I can.
I have to look again at this one. I think I have to pull the drive shaft but the piston is connected to the shaft by a pin and I have to see how to get the connectiong rod off that pin. Thanks for you help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand you not repairing these money wise. I just repair for my use and I have the time to try and fix if I can.
I have to look again at this one. I think I have to pull the drive shaft but the piston is connected to the shaft by a pin and I have to see how to get the connectiong rod off that pin. Thanks for you help

Some are screw in and you need a special tool to do it.
Some are rivited in and can not be removed.

rocky4

Threads
Some are screw in and you need a special tool to do it.
Some are rivited in and can not be removed.

Ok, To bring you up to date. I had two of these trimmers, from Grand kids. Have both running and back to them. What I did to the one I was asking about was replace the gasket on crankcase cover as it had to be leaking and had to clean the muffler. It started up and ran with the muffler off but would not start when I replaced it. After cleaning it ran realy good. So, problem solved.
Thanks again for your help Have a grate day